Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > F'd up with pool water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
mtg4772
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default F'd up with pool water

So to cool down the wort we submerge the boil keggle in the pool and put a copper wort chiller in the wort. It works really well. It goes from 200+ to 70 degrees Farenheit in about 45 minutes.

So after getting down to 70 degrees we tote it to a table and open the ball valve to let the liquid into the fermenting vessel. This time I saw a little clear water then the wort. So basically there was a little pool water in the opening of the ball valve. Well I didn't stop to correct this, I let it go. Now I'm worried about an infection.

It's an Imperial Stout and needs to ferment forever. 1 Month in the primary, another in the secondary then another 4-5 months in the keg to condition. I'm so afraid that this small amount of pool water is going to F it all up.

Please someone with experience help me out here. What can I do to mitigate and potential infection?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6028 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 686

Assuming your pool water is properly chlorinated and not some stagnant swamp, I wouldn't worry much about infection.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #3
eljefe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Did you happen to have a pool party for a group of 8 year old kids right before this? If not, I agree with mtg4772 - no worries

Primary 1: Wee Heavy
Primary 2:
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Keg 1: Northern Brew #1
Keg 2: 11.11.11
Next Up: Bourbonator

Old 04-29-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
mtg4772
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Assuming your pool water is properly chlorinated and not some stagnant swamp, I wouldn't worry much about infection.
It is maintained every friday by a guy that i pay $85 dollars/month. So yeah, it' spotless.

Best news I've heard in 100 years and I'm only 40 years old. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 155

If you have done this before I would expect the same thing happened and you didn't see it.

So if you did this before and had no problems I would expect none this time. As stated; if your pool is properly maintained I would guess any nasties would die before infecting your beer.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #6
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3051 Times on 1922 Posts
Likes Given: 2589

Pool noodle, duct tape, and you're in business. Mine used to float to the middle of the pool and I'd have to use the pool brush to reign it in until I git the IC in there, then I'd just tug on the hose.

Never had a problem with this.

People Like This 
Old 04-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 417

I've seen a lot of sweet stuff on this site, but that picture may take the cake. Well done!

To the OP - more alarming to me is your 45 min cooling time...that seems really long, esp with submersion & immersion. What's your flow rate on your immersion chiller? Are you moving it around in the wort? A typical cooling time is 10-20 mins.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
mtg4772
Recipes 

Yeah, very awesome pic? 10-20?! Now that's fast! Flow rate is pretty slow. Should I turn up the flow rate?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
mtg4772
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
I've seen a lot of sweet stuff on this site, but that picture may take the cake. Well done!

To the OP - more alarming to me is your 45 min cooling time...that seems really long, esp with submersion & immersion. What's your flow rate on your immersion chiller? Are you moving it around in the wort? A typical cooling time is 10-20 mins.
Here is the website and wort chilller description.

http://www.breworganic.com/basiccopperwortchiller.aspx

Like you said it is supposed to chill down to 70 degrees in about 20 minutes. I've never had that kind of timing. I stir the chiller every once in a while, but yeah that is a bit alarming especially when it's taking a lot longer than it should. What can I do to get the timing down to 20?

I thought a slower flow was better, but maybe I should increase the rate at which the water flows through the chiller?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #10
jritchie111
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Slow is more effiecient in water usage and temp drop/gallon water. Full tilt will cool the fastest, but you use a lot more water. I used to try to vary the flow depending on where my temp was to get a happy medium. The last two batches I just opened her up. I also would have thought submurging in a pool would have a more drastic effect then what you are saying. Then again if the pool water is 80 and the air temp is 80 then there is no difference but it looks cool.

Quick Reply