Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fat Tire Clone Kit - Sweet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
RedGlass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Well, it's a bit too warm. Ideally, the fermentation temperature (the actual temperature of the beer that's fermenting) would be no higher than 70. If the room was 70, the beer could have easily been 5-10 degrees higher. I don't really think that's the problem here.
I agree. I was just basing my "that's probably okay" on the fact that the yeast in the recipe says its optimum range is up to 75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWan
I did a full boil as I usually do instead of doing 2.5 and adding more water to get to 5 gallons. I have been putting about 6 gallons to account for water loss and most of my stuff turns out good.
Did you adjust hops for the full boil? If you reduced them to account for utilization then perhaps the balance was thrown off? Just a thought...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
MasterWan
Recipes 

I guess i didnt realize I had to adjust the hops when doing a full boil. If you end up with 5 gallons it should be the same right?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4278 Times on 3117 Posts
Likes Given: 823

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWan View Post
I guess i didnt realize I had to adjust the hops when doing a full boil. If you end up with 5 gallons it should be the same right?
Nope. Adding the extract late with the partial boil should simulate a full boil, but you'd have to run it through some software to see what the IBUs are. That could be the difference in the kit.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #14
businesstime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWan View Post

With more water, the hops have the ability to leach more alpha acids, making beer more bitter than expected. Which is the exact opposite of the problem.

I did this exact recipe from NB (extract) and also ended up with a sweet tasting beer, but it was because I didn't allow it to condition properly and I pitched my yeast into wort that was too hot. It ended up sort of apply and sweet. Difficult to drink.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #15
MasterWan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by businesstime View Post
With more water, the hops have the ability to leach more alpha acids, making beer more bitter than expected. Which is the exact opposite of the problem.

I did this exact recipe from NB (extract) and also ended up with a sweet tasting beer, but it was because I didn't allow it to condition properly and I pitched my yeast into wort that was too hot. It ended up sort of apply and sweet. Difficult to drink.
Hmmmm. This isn't really fruity, its just more sweet than I would have expected. I'm giving it until mid April and I think it may be less green then and hopefully more balanced. Thanks for the help everyone.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #16
MasterWan
Recipes 

Update

Holy Crap.
I took my too sweet (in my opinion) fat tire off draft after having only a few glasses of it and stuck it in the cornor of the garage for another 3 weeks after starting this thread. I hooked it back up Sunday for a party we had and it was absolutly amazing! Unfortunatly, now 4 gallons of it are gone . Goes to show you to heed the wisdom of the experts on this board. Dont throw it out!

Seems the toasty nuttyness that I feel is a big part of Fat Tire really started to shine through with the additional aging. It really balanced out the sweetness and made one great beer. All in all I did 1 week in primary and 8 weeks in secondary as I recall.

Last edited by MasterWan; 04-21-2010 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply