Fastest fermentation ever? <36 hours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puffin

Reaction score
Brewed for the first time with spring water (as opposed to my crappy chlorinated tap water), a Midwest Pumpkin Ale. Pitched 12g (2 Munton's packs) of dry yeast, re-hydrated in about a cup of spring water. SG 1.04X (hard to read, but mid 1.04's somewhere, as it should be). I pitched at 7pm Sunday, 70degF. Before going to bed that night, 4 hours later, had a little sign of life of activity in the airlock - actual bubbles coming out very slowly.

By Monday morning, it was alive with activity. Monday night, it was a CONSTANT flow of CO2 coming out.

Got up this morning (Tuesday), 36 hours after first pitching, and airlock activity STOPPED!! I'm debating on waiting a day or two, or cracking it open to check the gravity. Could it be possible that a violently active fermentation could be complete so soon?

Is over pitching a bad thing? Normally I pitch a 11.5g Safale pack, so 12g isn't that big of a difference. Biggest difference is using the store-bought spring water for the first time.

I haven't used it in at least 15 years, but IIRC I used to have really fast ferments with Munton's yeast. doesn't sound that strange to me... actually had a sub-24 hour ferment once or twice, that was crazy!

Sounds like your temps,did you notice if it felt warm? 70 degrees is a bit high,is that ambient or actual ferm temp? I did that with my first few and i was trying to keep it warm-came out very estery.Unless this is what you are going for I would get the temp down,ususally the warmer it is the faster it will go.Usually not a good thing in most beers,may be fine in a pumpkin though mine turned out good but developed better over time with less esters and a more blended taste.

It's possible. If you want you can take a gravity sample but I would let it sit for at least 1 more week to clear and clean up, preferably 2weeks). Airlocks/CO2 production isn't a good indication because it's possible to still drop a few points without any new co2 production being noticed (or it's possible to have a leak from the gasket/bung).

I had WLP005 drop clear in 36 hours but I have never used Muntons.

-70 degrees was at pitch, I noticed Monday night it was 72 (carboy has a stick on thermometer).

-Yeah I thought maybe the lid popped open, so when I saw it this morning I lightly pressed on the lid to see if the fluid in the airlock moved with it, and it did. Lid still on.

Thanks for the comments, never used the Munton's before so I'm glad someone else had a fast ferment with it too. Will check the gravity in the next day or so!

Back