Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > False bottom in a mash tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1018 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbnpj View Post
My question is about using a dip tube in a mash tun with a false bottom. How is this done in the most convenient way possible? My HLT and boil keggle both have dip tubes but they are made of copper and they are fixed, meaning I have them soldered in place. If you use a false bottom in a mash tun, I assume you have to take it out after every batch in order to clean it as well as clean the mash tun? So, my thinking is some sort of quick disconnect is needed?

Currently, I am using a SS braid in my mash tun, which after 3 batches has already been crushed and created a stuck sparge twice. This is why I am leaning toward the false bottom option.
Two things you can do. For a false bottom, hold the dip tube to the bulkhead with a compression or union fitting to make it removable.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-s...jaybird-69860/

Run a copper tube down to the bottom and slip a braid over it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/sank...s-braid-56183/
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2010, 02:09 AM   #12
dmbnpj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach7210 View Post
+1 to thick walled silicone tubing

I use the exact same thing and I've never had a problem. When I get home, I'll take a picture and upload it so you can see exactly what it is.

You home yet?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply