Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > False bottom on mash tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
dmbnpj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default False bottom on mash tun?

Is this commonly done? After brewing today and the SS braid getting stuck, again, I was thinking about a false bottom. But, reading more about them I see they are commonly used on the boil kettle. I don't need one there because we use a hop bag. Would one on a mash tun work with the grains sitting on top of the false bottom and a dip tube going in the middle to drain the wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbnpj View Post
Is this commonly done? After brewing today and the SS braid getting stuck, again, I was thinking about a false bottom. But, reading more about them I see they are commonly used on the boil kettle. I don't need one there because we use a hop bag. Would one on a mash tun work with the grains sitting on top of the false bottom and a dip tube going in the middle to drain the wort?
False bottoms are used very extensively in mash tuns. They are excellent...

Old 09-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What happens though when you make a recipe such as a pumpkin recipe that calls for mashing with puree of pumpkin? Even if you use rice hulls, won't the pumpkin sink to the bottom of the keg, while the rice hulls stay suspended above the false bottom and then create a stuck sparge? In this case, would the SS braid be a better option?

Old 09-28-2009, 02:14 AM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbnpj View Post
What happens though when you make a recipe such as a pumpkin recipe that calls for mashing with puree of pumpkin? Even if you use rice hulls, won't the pumpkin sink to the bottom of the keg, while the rice hulls stay suspended above the false bottom and then create a stuck sparge? In this case, would the SS braid be a better option?
Dunno.....

Quick Reply