Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fall beer, when to brew? And what to brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
mcaple1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

You can brew pumpkin ale with the canned pumpkin...NOT NOT NOT the pumpkin pie filling. Then add some all spice or cinnamon or whatever to taste. I like the tea method addition to the secondary, but that's just me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Personally I plan on making a pumpkin porter with just pumpkin spice. Last year I did a light brown with real pumpkin and a spice tea, and it was a hassle using the real pumpkin. I don't really care about it being authentic, I just want the flavor! And I tried a pumpkin porter that a guy at my homebrew club made last year and it was sooo good!

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 06-05-2011, 03:07 PM   #13
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

A lot, if not most, of the recipes I've read call for the real thing. I haven't read into why, but I assumed it had something to do with the canned stuff being all pureed and adding to clouding issues?

Otherwise, I have no problem using real pumpkin. I'm a nut like that. I actually use real pumpkins to make my pies as well.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I typically make my pumpkin ale in september because of what you state - no pumpkins available until it's almost fall already. As a result, it's usually not ready to drink til mid november.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
mcaple1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
A lot, if not most, of the recipes I've read call for the real thing. I haven't read into why, but I assumed it had something to do with the canned stuff being all pureed and adding to clouding issues?

Otherwise, I have no problem using real pumpkin. I'm a nut like that. I actually use real pumpkins to make my pies as well.
"Cloudiness"....what are you, some kind of commercial brewery? I used the canned stuff and it worked just fine. Cold crash it and use some gelatin if you really want better clarity and it will be fine. Also, when adding the pumpkin to the boil, you can use a fine mesh bag to hold most of the gunk before you whirlpool.

Cloudiness....you make me laugh fellow homebrewer....if only cloudiness had a flavor (and yes, weizens cloudiness is from yeast...so yes, flavor)

Old 06-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaple1

"Cloudiness"....what are you, some kind of commercial brewery? I used the canned stuff and it worked just fine. Cold crash it and use some gelatin if you really want better clarity and it will be fine. Also, when adding the pumpkin to the boil, you can use a fine mesh bag to hold most of the gunk before you whirlpool.

Cloudiness....you make me laugh fellow homebrewer....if only cloudiness had a flavor (and yes, weizens cloudiness is from yeast...so yes, flavor)
He was just making an assumption. I don't think he's really THAT concerned with cloudiness. Canned or real, it's all a PITA ... IMHO
Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 06-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I envy you people with seasons beyond summer, not summer.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 06-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaple1 View Post

Haha, yeah... If you look very, very carefully, you'll see two important indicators in my sentence. One is "assume" and the other is a question mark.

I was asking why is it most recipes call for fresh pumpkin, while making the assumption it might have to do with cloudiness.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Old 06-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #19
mcaple1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar View Post
Haha, yeah... If you look very, very carefully, you'll see two important indicators in my sentence. One is "assume" and the other is a question mark.

I was asking why is it most recipes call for fresh pumpkin, while making the assumption it might have to do with cloudiness.
no...I read it right...and you "assumed" right. It will contribute to cloudiness in your beer, which is why I'm telling you if that is putting you off from using it, then here are some ways to mitigate the cloudiness issue.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #20
onipar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaple1 View Post
no...I read it right...and you "assumed" right. It will contribute to cloudiness in your beer, which is why I'm telling you if that is putting you off from using it, then here are some ways to mitigate the cloudiness issue.
Gotcha. Yeah, the cloudiness thing doesn't actually bother me that much. I just liked the idea of using pumpkins (for my aforementioned reason that I'm nutty).

I only brought it up because of the recipes I've read. But thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to do that if I go the canned route.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Quick Reply