Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fall beer, when to brew? And what to brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 03:13 AM   #1
stbnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Fall beer, when to brew? And what to brew?

Hi! I was wondering when everyone starts to brew their fall beers? I want to make sure I am leaving myself enough time so that I have a decent finished beer to share, assuming everything else goes correctly. I am thinking a pumpkin ale or porter. I will also be doing this as an all grain brew. And also, any suggestions as to a fall beer besides a pumpkin beer? I love pumpkin beers but there are so many good commercial ones that I like, I was thinking of what else I could brew that would be a nice Fall beer and would be different from the commercial offerings. Thanks in advance for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #2
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

These days you get get pretty much anything from a commercial brewery. Brew what you like. Oktoberfest would be another good one for the fall. Make it now and lager all summer long.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
Joe_K
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm planning on brewing my Pumpkin Ale next week. It should be great by thanksgiving. I currently bottle.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #4
douglasbarbin
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed mine about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I put gelatin finings in it about 4 days ago, and it is currently lagering @ 36º. I plan to lager for a month or two, bottle it, store the bottles for another month or two, then enjoy the hell out of it.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #5
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebrewMTB View Post
Oktoberfest would be another good one for the fall. Make it now and lager all summer long.
This is my plan in a nutshell.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 06-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

When I empty my original fermenter tomorrow,I want to brew up my "whiskely" ale. It's a cooper's OS Dark Ale can/ale yeast (starter for yeast),3lbs Munton's plain amber DME,& Kent golding & Haulertau hops. I had wanted German Tradition hops,but all gone till harvest in September. Too bad,it's a smoother finishing hop.
But,anyway,I want to brew it up,then secondary for a week or two with 4oz medium toast French oak chips/Beam's Black,8 year old bourbon. About 3 or 4 jiggers soaking together for the whole fermentation time before secondary.
Then bottle it up with o2 absorbing caps & age till September or so.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You really want several months for any Haloween/Turkey Day pumpkin and spiced beers to come into their own. So anytime between now and July is probably good. I made the mistake of trying to do it on Labor day, and it wasn't ready by Haloween on year. So early is the better. They tend to be higher grav beers and higher grav beers need more time to mellow.

You might be interested in doing to fall beers from the same grainbill like I did with my Partigyle Pumpkin ales as chronicaled here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

You're right about that revs. That's why I thought I'd forgo the summer wheat stuff,& get my Whiskely ale bottled & aging in time for fall. I'm still trying to get my life/$$/brewing schedule sync'ed up. We'll have two batches ready for the 4th as of this weekend. Then,by the time my whiskely FG's & goes into secondary (also our bottling bucket),my wife can start another summer brew. That way,by the time we'll need the bottling bucket/secondary,it'll be emptied into glass bottles to store/age. Then go back & bottle the summer brew. That's my reasoning in regards to timing. Not to mention,two FV's.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Conman2U
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I was just asking myself this same question. Thinking of a Pumpkin ale, but to be honest, I have never tried one. The flavors sound awesome though

Old 06-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
onipar
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Okay, so here's a question. I wanted to make a pumpkin ale (not lager) for the fall, but I also want to use fresh pumpkin.

How are you brewing a pumpkin ale *now* with fresh pumpkin? There won't be fresh pumpkins in my neck of the woods until closer to late august.

My Official Website

Horror and Homebrew: YouTube Channel

My Books:
Soundtrack to the End of the World
Welcome to Moon Hill

Quick Reply