Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > fake beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
Crazytwoknobs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I was at Powell's used bookstore in Hyde Park, Chicago a few months ago, and they had a book called "Early American Beverages" or somesuch. Had all sorts of recipes of the kind you're looking for. Not too many had alcohol though.

Edit:

That was fast:

http://www.amazon.com/Early-American.../dp/B0006BO32E

Marbles baby, marbles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
sea2summit3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CROM View Post
I was thinking, instead of buying malt extract, and using that, has anyone here ever thought about using a combination of other things?

like ice tea mix and say, ginseng?.... like, you could get the color and sweetness out of the ice tea, then use the ginseng for the bitterness?

basically, does anyone think theirs a close substitute for malt extract?
Sure.. you can ferment all kinds of stuff! Just don't expect it to be anything like beer! And it certainly can't be called beer (even fake beer would be stretching it! Personally, I would only refer to non-alcoholic beer as "fake beer".) Depending on what you ferment, you might need to add yeast nutrient. Remember too that what ever you ferment may taste nothing like what you expect. For example, completely fermented apple juice doesn't taste much like apples anymore.

Cultures all over the world ferment with different ingredients to create alcoholic beverages. Experiment away!

Primary:-
Secondary:IPA, just "IPA"
Bottled: Applewood Smoked Porter, Windy Bridge Stout, Maple Chocolate Pumpkin Ale, Maple Pumpkin Ale, California Steam, Black Cat Porter, Irish Coffee Stout
Kegged: Blackberry Stout, Nut Brown, Sweet Cider, Apfelwein #2, IPA, SNCA Clone

Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #13
GACurmudgeon
Recipes 

Default Fake Beer?

I suspect that, lacking malt, the yeast will have nothing to convert to alcohol and CO2. So you would end up with yeasty iced tea -- or whatever.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
sea2summit3
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GACurmudgeon View Post
I suspect that, lacking malt, the yeast will have nothing to convert to alcohol and CO2. So you would end up with yeasty iced tea -- or whatever.
Yeast will consume the sugar in iced tea mix, just as bread yeast consumes sugar in bread dough (causing the dough to rise from CO2). However, if tea lacks many of the yeast nutrients that barley malt has, the yeast might not produce an ideal fermentation.

Bottled: Applewood Smoked Porter, Windy Bridge Stout, Maple Chocolate Pumpkin Ale, Maple Pumpkin Ale, California Steam, Black Cat Porter, Irish Coffee Stout

Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

It won't be beer. But you can make wine with fruit juice, hard lemonade with lemonade (which technically is a fruit wine, I guess), cider, and mead with honey.

If you use a sugar that yeast can eat, you'll get alcohol. There are plenty of websites out there that are geared to people wanting to make cheap hooch, and I'm sure that they've tried it all. I've heard from a reliable source that fermented Mountain Dew doesn't taste good.

This website is geared towards making craft beers, wines, meads, and ciders. Feel free to check out the wine forum to see the different types of drinkable fermenteds we've made.

We don't allow hooch threads, but making a good drinkable product out of common ingredients is fine.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:22 AM   #16
CROM
Recipes 

lol thanks everyone...

I dont really want to make hooch or just some alcoholic drink... I wanted to see if I could make something that tasted like beer without using malt extract...

cause if I can make it with ice tea, something bitter, sugar and yeast and somehow make it taste like beer still its a score...

Old 12-10-2009, 03:28 AM   #17
annasdadhockey
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
I wanted to see if I could make something that tasted like beer without using malt extract...
You can. It's called malted barley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #18
sea2summit3
Recipes 

Quote:
lol thanks everyone...

I dont really want to make hooch or just some alcoholic drink... I wanted to see if I could make something that tasted like beer without using malt extract...

cause if I can make it with ice tea, something bitter, sugar and yeast and somehow make it taste like beer still its a score...
I'm curious why you want to make something similar to beer without buying malted extract? I figure its a cost issue? A lot of people say that you don't really save money by making your own... but I beg to differ. If you can resist the urge to expand your brewery and move into more advanced brewing, you actually can save over time. Staying with your typical $75 starter equipment and recipe kits, and reusing bottles from commercial brew will eventually save money. By some rough calculations, the kit will pay its-self off in about 5 batches, (assuming you normal buy commerical microbrew anyways). The increasing costs with homebrewing, though, comes from a desire to never stop tinkering and expanding.

As everyone has mentioned, you can make alcoholic beverages from a variety of ingredients. I doubt anything will really taste like beer (as far as modern beer goes), unless you're using barley (either all-grain or extract).

Old 12-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #19
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
lol thanks everyone...

Most gluten-free beers are made without malt I believe.
I think most are made with sorgham(sp?) syrup?

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #20
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

if it doesn't have malt, and hops...its not 'beer'.

i don't feel that sorghum stuff is 'beer'. beer-like maybe, but not 'beer'.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply