Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Faint smell of soy sauce?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
kanta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Faint smell of soy sauce?

Hoping it is the power of suggestion...

I bottled my oaked imperial stout tonight, oak chips were soaked in BenRiach 12 year old (VERY peaty single malt Speyside). It spent about 3 weeks in primary (first week of August), then I racked to secondary and left it for 5 or 6 weeks and bottled tonight. I used WLP004 for my yeast, and it was a mini mash.

After bottling, my wife took a taste of some of the stuff that had spilled on her hand while bottling and commented that it tasted kind of like soy sauce. She may have been just making it up, I'm not sure. I tasted some and it was definitely not salty, nor did it taste anything like soy sauce, but the smell had a faint trace of soy sauce. The color is the same as well, but the color is where I want it. Is my mind just playing tricks on me, or is there a possibility that one can induce soy sauce like aromas or flavors in a beer? Some of the yeast cake did go into the bottling bucket, but I don't think that would cause any off flavors. Guess I just have to wait it out for a few months, maybe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I've actually heard people use "soy sauce" as a descriptor when sniffing/tasting peaty Scotch. I'm guessing it's the whisky.

Even if you don't notice those soy sauce notes in BenRiach normally, something about the way it mixed with the beer could have brought it to the forefront. The toast from the oak cubes is probably accentuating it as well.

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
CadillacAndy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I had similar flavors in the first 2-3 stouts I made. It went away with time and I've changed 2 main factors since last stout season - filtered water and adding dark grains during the sparge. The 2 stouts I've made so far this season don't have the same off flavor.

What's your water source?

Looking for a way to give and receive beer feedback using online BJCP score sheets?
Check out - http://onlinebeerscores.com/ and my blog at http://onlinebeerscores.com/blog

Quick Reply