HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Failed So Hard - No Bottle Caps
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
Jarov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 49
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Failed So Hard - No Bottle Caps

So I just threw my priming sugar in the bottling bucket with all of my beer, and then found out I had no bottling caps.................... I'm so mad at myself, luckily I have a local home brew supply shop, and they open at 10. Should I add just a touch more priming sugar when I bottle the beer? The beer will be sitting on that priming sugar for about 12 hours.

__________________
Next: Vanilla Cream Ale
Primary: None
Secondary:
Bottled: Spiced Imperial Stout, Imperial Pale Ale, West Coast Cascade Imperial IPA
Jarov is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
KeystoneHomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montgomeryville, PA
Posts: 351
Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I would put the lid and airlock on the bucket (assuming it is a bucket) and let it sit a couple of days. Let the sugar ferment out and purge the air.

Then rinse and repeat.

__________________

Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

KeystoneHomebrew is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Jarov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 49
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneHomebrew View Post
I would put the lid and airlock on the bucket (assuming it is a bucket) and let it sit a couple of days. Let the sugar ferment out and purge the air.

Then rinse and repeat.
Thats a good idea, and that was the first thing I did, when I realized I had no caps, I cleaned and sanitized a lid and airlock and threw that on. Luckily the movement of the beer during racking disturbed it enough to degass a bit of the co2, so the airlock is bubbling nicely and soon a layer of co2 will blanket the beer, so I doubt oxidization will happen. So I guess I'll be waiting a bit before bottling, damn me... hahahaha.
__________________
Next: Vanilla Cream Ale
Primary: None
Secondary:
Bottled: Spiced Imperial Stout, Imperial Pale Ale, West Coast Cascade Imperial IPA
Jarov is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
KeystoneHomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montgomeryville, PA
Posts: 351
Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Always trust your instincts! Ha ha, part of the hobby. I could share war stories to last a year.

__________________

Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

KeystoneHomebrew is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
shutupjojo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: dundee, Oregon
Posts: 455
Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

You should be punished for this.

__________________
shutupjojo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Solway, MN
Posts: 7,856
Liked 1034 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarov View Post
Thats a good idea, and that was the first thing I did, when I realized I had no caps, I cleaned and sanitized a lid and airlock and threw that on. Luckily the movement of the beer during racking disturbed it enough to degass a bit of the co2, so the airlock is bubbling nicely and soon a layer of co2 will blanket the beer, so I doubt oxidization will happen. So I guess I'll be waiting a bit before bottling, damn me... hahahaha.
You are correct that CO2 will quickly blanket the beer but the reason the airlock is bubbling is that you added a simple sugar and the yeast are eating it up and expelling CO2, the same CO2 that would have carbonated your beer in the bottles. Let the yeast consume all this sugar and start over with the priming and you'll be good to go.
__________________
RM-MN is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
Jarov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 49
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
You are correct that CO2 will quickly blanket the beer but the reason the airlock is bubbling is that you added a simple sugar and the yeast are eating it up and expelling CO2, the same CO2 that would have carbonated your beer in the bottles. Let the yeast consume all this sugar and start over with the priming and you'll be good to go.
No, the fermentation wouldn't be that aggressive and wouldn't trigger that early. All of the co2 from the previous fermentation doesn't escape the beer, like wine, a lot of the co2 is trapped in the liquid, and when it gets disturbed, the co2 begins to escape. When I moved my beer from the closet to the kitchen counter, before racking or adding priming sugar, the airlock began bubbling every 15-20 seconds, just because the beer was disturbed enough for some of the co2 gas to escape.
__________________
Next: Vanilla Cream Ale
Primary: None
Secondary:
Bottled: Spiced Imperial Stout, Imperial Pale Ale, West Coast Cascade Imperial IPA
Jarov is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failed Hard Cider? yewtah-brewha Fermentation & Yeast 2 01-10-2013 03:07 PM
Failed Bottle Carbing ... again maztec Bottling/Kegging 30 05-26-2010 06:45 PM
Failed Hard srb3189 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 04-18-2010 02:09 PM
Any Fix for Failed Bottle Carbonation? J8D Bottling/Kegging 2 09-12-2009 11:54 PM
Bottle carb failed - what to do? dgobrew Cider Forum 8 01-04-2008 09:41 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS