Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Failed batch number 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #21
Fid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Alright, so here's my new suggestion.

Put your beer in a dark corner.
Buy this.
Read the whole thing.
Brew another batch of beer.
Read this again while enjoying your Winter Warmer.
Buy This.

Read this while enjoying your second beer.

Read this again.

Theres alot of info in brewing books and, for me at least, alot of that info didn't make sense until I had practical knowledge to apply/compare it to. A cycle of reading, brewing, and rereading really helped me feel more comfortable with the whole brewing process when I was starting out and made me realize why I was doing what I was doing rather than just doing because the instructions said so.

Last piece of advice... Watch out for Trippel's after a 12 hour day at work

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #22
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 824 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 297

If you are using city water from the tap it is possible that the water department changed its method of chlorination from adding chlorine to adding chloramine. Chlorine will evaporate but chloramine will not which would give you a medicine taste to your beer. Call the water department and ask.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

What are your gravities?

I aerate by pouring back and forth between buckets.

I make a little non-starter. I reconstitute the yeast in warm water with a teaspoon of sugar for 45 minutes, and then pitch it with an arc motion of my hand. I don't stir it. If there are some more concentrated pocket I think it gets them finding each other and reproducing/working faster. They WILL get to all the wort.

My wife doesn't care for the higher alcohol content of my beers. I start with higher original gravity and end with "normal" gravity. It has a alcohol taste like brandy. ...that is kind of chemically.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #24
titletowngirl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you all for your advice. I'll give it more time to condition. If it's still not good I'll just use it for my beer brats!

Old 04-30-2012, 04:35 AM   #25
Drunkenfool
Recipes 

do a starter, it will do leagues for the finished product. aerate by shaking the bucket or get some type of setup. definately try to control the temp of the fermentation some how and kick up the temp at the end of fermentation. also unless it needs to age for months before bottling, screw the secondary, period, it just gives you another chance to infect the beer and the longer and the longer the beer is on the yeast the more the yeast will clean the beer up for you......on sanitation, what are you using? stay awau from bleach etc.... I like star san as it leaves no taste. good luck.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #26
davebee
Recipes 

I have not had any problems with using GB water right out of the tap. I would suggest traying and mastering lighter bodied beers, try SAF 04 with a some LME and DME, hop to taste.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #27
paulster2626
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 332 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
To aerate you need to introduce a lot of oxygen. If you are using a bucket put the lid on, tip it up on its edge and shake the bejeebers out of it for a few minutes. You cannot over do it.

Don't do this after fermentation has begun. Oxygen at this point is bad.

You can stir in the yeast with a spoon but this will not aerate enough by itself. Also make sure you thoroughly sanitize anything that touches the beer after the boil.
Shaking... such a silly thing to do. Why waste so much energy?

Simply take your stainless pasta strainer from the kitchen, and stick it in your brew pot right near the end of the boil to kill anything living on it. Then set it on your already-sanitized fermenting bucket while you cool your wort.

Wort cool? Good. Now dump that sucker through the strainer into your fermenter. The strainer will catch all the hops and gunk that are floating around in there - whirlpooling is also for suckers.

Once it's in the fermenter, rinse out your strainer, spray some star san on it, and then pour the wort back and forth from the fermenter to the kettle and back to the fermenter (all through the strainer) until is all nice and bubbly and mixed up. Then toss in your yeast, put the lid on 'er, and forget about it for 3 weeks.

Aeration complete. Shaking a 5 gallon container is for fools. Or, just use an aquarium pump and forget about all of this altogether.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #28
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Shaking... such a silly thing to do. Why waste so much energy?

Simply take your stainless pasta strainer from the kitchen, and stick it in your brew pot right near the end of the boil to kill anything living on it. Then set it on your already-sanitized fermenting bucket while you cool your wort.

Wort cool? Good. Now dump that sucker through the strainer into your fermenter. The strainer will catch all the hops and gunk that are floating around in there - whirlpooling is also for suckers.

Once it's in the fermenter, rinse out your strainer, spray some star san on it, and then pour the wort back and forth from the fermenter to the kettle and back to the fermenter (all through the strainer) until is all nice and bubbly and mixed up. Then toss in your yeast, put the lid on 'er, and forget about it for 3 weeks.

Aeration complete. Shaking a 5 gallon container is for fools. Or, just use an aquarium pump and forget about all of this altogether.
That sounds like too much work for me.

I have no way of comparing which method is best but I seem to be having success with my method which is to stir the crap out of the wort for 2-3 minutes using a 28" mash paddle and my drill.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #29
fifty-six
Recipes 

I use a whisk.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS