Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > FAIL Ale....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
zavoid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default FAIL Ale....

Hey guys,

me and my buddies just did our first brew at our office last week, I'm guessing we didn't sanitize properly? take a look...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Have you tasted it? I can't really tell if those are just floating yeast rafts or a true infection. Realistically it is hard to actually get an infection, especially on your first batch. So most of these threads turn out to be nothing more than newby nerves.

Our beer is really tough that way...it's really not like a frail newborn, the yeast are pros at survival.

Can you get us a better quality photo of those floaties?

But really even with floaties on the top, if the beer doesn't taste bad, it may still be okay. No known pathogen can grow in beer, so nothing will hurt you. And some people intentionally brew infected beers, and like funky and sour, so even if it is tart and you like the taste you can rack beneath the floaties.

I've racked under mold before (as have several others) and the beer was drinkable.

Looks can be deceiving...It's going to come down to taste and smell.

That could be pre krausen yeast starting to bloom, or it could be post krausen fall yeast rafts, colonies of yeast kicked up by co2 from the bottom ann brought to the surface, which is completely normal.

Better pics would be helpful.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
zavoid
Recipes 

awesome let me use a real camera and not my phone.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
zavoid
Recipes 

ok here are some more photos taken with a d50.(no more iphone shots) you can click on them pick original size for the full LARGE photo. first brew - a set on Flickr

what you think?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
TrojanMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Green bits = infection.
My condolences.

But as stated, you might still be able to salvage it by racking beneath it when it's done.

What yeast did you pitch and how did you do it? If it's 7 days later and there's no active fermentation then it sounds like you pitched a bunch of dead yeast.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 441

Have to agree with all that Revvy said but if that was my beer I'd be worried too. But the answer to some questions might help with some reassurance.

What was the actual brew date?
What sanitizer did you use?
What yeast did you use?
How did you prepare it?
What was the OG?

Old 08-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
zavoid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Have to agree with all that Revvy said but if that was my beer I'd be worried too. But the answer to some questions might help with some reassurance.

What was the actual brew date?
What sanitizer did you use?
What yeast did you use?
How did you prepare it?
What was the OG?

1. August 5th we brewed
2. We used starsan(don't fear the bubbles right?)
3. Our first brew was from a kit we got.(good stuff is saved for 2nd attempt) so umm yeat in a packet?
4. prepared in warm cup of water that we chilled.
5. unsure on the OG.. because my buddy dropped the hydrometer in the brew and it broke, its still in there

AnOldUr.. your very local to me.. my office where the beer is, is in lambertville if you wanna come on down and take a look

thanks all

Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

I honestly can't tell from even the single clump if it's mold or if it's hop scum on a yeast raft.

And MOLD IS NOT THE SAME THING AS AN INFECTION. The mold only sits on the top of the beer and the beer can be racked under it.

Honestly the only time we can TRULY visually diagnose an INFECTION by looking at it, is if a pellicule forms OR if the growths have tendrils hanging down into the beer (think of those jelly fish with a head on top and a bunch of arms hanging below.

But if it is anything, it just appears to be a surface issue. And most likely will not affect the taste of the beer below.

We do need more info in the recipe and the gravity, etc to know where you are at in the beers process.

But if it is surface mold and fermentation is complete I would carefully rack it to a secondary vessel, leaving behind and inch of the beer and the floaties behind.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

AnOldUr, it might be a good thing if you did a "house call" and checked it out.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
zavoid
Recipes 

Yeah i'm leaning towards the yeast dead theory as the active fermentation i see in all the pictures hasn't happened in over a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I honestly can't tell from even the single clump if it's mold or if it's hop scum on a yeast raft.

And MOLD IS NOT THE SAME THING AS AN INFECTION. The mold only sits on the top of the beer and the beer can be racked under it.

Honestly the only time we can TRULY visually diagnose an INFECTION by looking at it, is if a pellicule forms OR if the growths have tendrils hanging down into the beer (think of those jelly fish with a head on top and a bunch of arms hanging below.

But if it is anything, it just appears to be a surface issue. And most likely will not affect the taste of the beer below.

We do need more info in the recipe and the gravity, etc to know where you are at in the beers process.

But if it is surface mold and fermentation is complete I would carefully rack it to a secondary vessel, leaving behind and inch of the beer and the floaties behind.

Quick Reply