Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > F.G. reading is at1.015 in 4 days?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Jimmyjoe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default F.G. reading is at1.015 in 4 days?

This is my second batch. I checked my readings this morning and was shocked to find that after 4 days it is down to F.G. of 1.015. I am brewing a pale ale with a orginal O.G. of 1.052. Is this normal this quick? I did a 1qt yeast starter using WLP002 yeast. The wort was cooled to 70 deg. prior to pitching the yeast. I had about 1 inch of foam on top for the first 3 days and the airlock was bubbling about every 8-10 seconds for a day or so.

If everything is still the same in a few days should I rack to my secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Double_D
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Yes. Sometimes your beer will finish the primary fermentation in only four or five days. Just check it in a coupe days and make sure it's not moving (the gravity, although if your beer is moving you should post a video.). And remember that your airlock is not a good indicator of the tenacity of your fermentation. Your best friend in this situation is the hydrometer. And a beer.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyjoe View Post

If everything is still the same in a few days should I rack to my secondary?
sure, but it's just extra work/chance for something to go wrong. just let it sit for a few more weeks and then bottle...

Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

This extra time gives the yeasties something to do now that active fermentation is over such as clean up diacetyl and smooth out the roughness of your beer. I'd let it go for at least three weeks from brew day and then rack it to secondary/keg/bottle depending on the style you're brewing.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Give it a taste. If you like it, bottle it, rack to secondary, whatever.
The 3 weeks thing is only if you screw up a bunch of stuff. If you did everything right, you can drink it much sooner.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman_48442 View Post
The 3 weeks thing is only if you screw up a bunch of stuff. If you did everything right, you can drink it much sooner.
I don't agree with this at all. Four days in the fermenter is not good enough time to bottle IMO. Sure you can bottle if it's reached it's FG and you will still have a beer but you will likely have off flavors, unexpected biterness, etc. Yes, using a good starter that sat on a stir plate can dramatically decrease the primary fermentation time, but as already mentioned the yeast do cleanup afterward and with no quantifiable amount of sugars left to consume they cleanup rather slowly. I would heed the advice to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks then bottle. Since it's done so fast you can probably bottle it fine after 2 weeks but I certainly would not bottle right now after only 4 days. Professional breweries use far more advanced systems and techniques than homebrewers do so you can't use them as an example.

Rev.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
morticaixavier
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts

It certainly won't hurt to leave it in primary for a couple weeks. but I have on several occasions brewed on short notice, used WLP002 and served a kegged carbed beer 7-8 days after brew day with no noticiable off flavours. That being said, unless you're getting married in 3 days and plan on serving this beer at the reception (or similar situation) I would let it ride another week or so.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 679 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman_48442 View Post
This is definitely NOT the current thinking of most home brewers. Allow the yeast to do ALL the work. Yes, you can rush things but, leave the beer alone - do not even take gravity samples for about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks then check and bottle/keg after 3 -4 weeks. You do not need a secondary unless you want to add ingredients, dry hop or want extra clarity.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:42 AM   #9
wolfman_48442
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
Professional breweries use far more advanced systems and techniques than homebrewers do so you can't use them as an example.
With all due respect, I don't agree with this at all. They use the same techniques as we do, they just have their process nailed, usually because they do the same batch over and over.

This leads me back to saying again if you hit all your numbers and your process was good, you can indeed bottle/keg much sooner than the canonical 1 month that seems to be spoken of in hushed tones by many.

Can I make a great beer in a week (actually 10 days counting forced carb)? Not always, I still screw up stuff, more often that I would like. Have I succeeded? Yes. YMMV.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #10
kurtism
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The moral of all the posts here...let the hydrometer tell you want to do. If your gravity readings are consistent...go ahead and bottle or rack to secondary (what I would do).

It doesn't matter what anyone says...if your gravity readings don't budge for days and are at the expected value...primary fermentation is done...whether it took a week or a month. fermentation time is relative to temperature, strain and volume of yeast pitched, what fermentables were in the bucket etc.

that said, it is a personal preference of mine to have crystal clear sediment free beer so i would at least rack to secondary and let it sit till some solids precipitate out.

Too many brews...too few bottles!!!

Quick Reply