Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract w/ Specialty vs. Partial-Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #31
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssult1 View Post
I would also recommend BIAB for partial mashes. I see no need to build a mash tun and do all that transferring when you can just mash in your brew pot, pull out the bag and let it drain, add your extract and boil. You can also do all grain 2.5 gallon batches on the stove with a 5 gallon brew pot and a bag. Do a search for BIAB here. There are a lot of threads.
I like to use a big strainer and vorlauf the extra goodness out of the grains, but BIAB would simplify that. As much as I like simplicity, I NEVER leave a good man behind.(or good fermentables)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #32
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1904 Times on 1677 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

That's why I sparged my pm biab with 1.5G of sparge water to get 3G partial boil. Hit my numbers with good efficiency.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #33
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
That's why I sparged my pm biab with 1.5G of sparge water to get 3G partial boil. Hit my numbers with good efficiency.
OK! I am convinced!!!

Old 12-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #34
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I couldn't be happier going to BIAB after doing a couple AG batches. I'm lucky enough that I found a square cooler that my BK/mash kettle fits right into with less than an inch of room in any direction. And towels fill that so when I hit mash temp, it doesn't drop at all. I need to post some pics since it's such a great setup, all by luck!

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 12-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #35
vtbasementbrewer
Recipes 

Default Got the cooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch52 View Post
No, actually, it's not. I started this thread asking whether a recipe I was making required doing a partial mash, and if so, what equipment I needed to do so. In the thread it was suggested I make a simple lauter tun from a cooler. I took that advice, but the instructions I was referred to apparently assumed the opening on the cooler was 3/8", not 1".
I've got ingredients on route to start a partial mash like you. Like you I've been doing extract+specialty grain until now.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/ is a great article that shows how cheap and easy it can be and is how I plan on doing it. I'd invest $7 in a big nylon mesh bag and do what Deathbrewer does. You can still use your cooler, but not deal with the braided hose...
Good luck and post how it turns out!

Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #36
Enoch52
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thanks for all the advice--I'll try to complete the lauter tun anyway since I have all the parts, but if not I've got some great alternatives!

Quick Reply