Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract w/ Specialty vs. Partial-Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1904 Times on 1677 Posts
Likes Given: 1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrookie View Post
One thing to note is that with a 5 gallon kettle, you are never going to be able to do a full volume boil which effects your hop utilization and sometimes flavor as you are watering down your wort when you go to the fermenter by topping it off to 5 gallons if that is your batch size.

BIAB is an option for some but I find going with a MLT, although maybe slightly more expensive at first is more along the lines of where I want my home brew operation to move. Different strokes for different folks.

My logic was just that if I am going to be mashing anything, why not mash it all. Extracts are expensive.
You don't need a full volume boil to get good hop utilization in a partial boil. The difference is pretty small. Most kits & related recipies are designed for the partial boils most are capable of.
Flavors are the same. The difference is there,but not so much that it makes worlds of difference. It doesn't. So the beer isn't being "watered down",& Many don't necessarilly want to brew big ABV beers all the time.
Yeah,extracts cost $$. But way less in a pm brew,since you're using only about 3lbs of it vs 6 or 7 pounds in an all extract brew. On average,about $25pm vs $35 AE (All Extract). Hey! There's a new term...AE.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 591 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 160

For holding the mash temperatures for your partial mash you can do a form of BIAB and put the entire pot in your oven. Preheat to your mash temperature then put the pot inside, I usually turn the oven off. Set the timer for your mash and it should keep the temperature close.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm a recent convert to partial mash. I followed one of the threads on here and converted a 5 gal water cooler by replacing the spigot with a ball valve faucet and barbed ends to connect tubing for easy sparging. It was easy and cheap. However I skipped the SS braid part and just use 5 gal paint strainer bags for my grains. Now someone correct me if I'm wrong but the bag accomplishes the same purpose as the braid, ie, allowing the grains to soak / mash and then draining the water to spare.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch52 View Post
Right now I'm going to be a partial-volume, simply because I don't have a burner yet that will allow me to boil 5 gallons all at once (still using an electric stovetop)..
I use my electric stove now... the boil takes a little longer but it still works. I guess it all comes down to whether or not your kettle can fit on the stove.

I have pretty much done partial volume boils up until now, just to save myself some time but I had started reading and hearing that the bigger the boil the better the beer. I guess in smaller batches it is a rather negligible difference.

And as I understand it, yes, the grain bags act like a false bottom or a SS braid. Pretty much just keeping your grain out of your valve.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

AS I understand it,BIAB is a way to mash grains when you don't have a converted cooler or MLT with valves,false bottoms,etc. Not used together. If you have the cooler set up,you don't need the bag.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #16
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

if you do BIAB you don't need all that stuff... it doesn't have the 'cool factor' of building the whole setup, but it works well, and it's a lot easier, and cheaper, and the cleanup is a breeze

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

unionrdr Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Yup! You nailed it dad-dad-daddio. Clean up would be a breeze if I wasn't such a cheap a$$ & reuse the grain sacks.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
AS I understand it,BIAB is a way to mash grains when you don't have a converted cooler or MLT with valves,false bottoms,etc. Not used together. If you have the cooler set up,you don't need the bag.
actually, i do the BIAB in a cooler, but i just don't have all the valves changed on the cooler.

the cooler keeps the water at EXACTLY the temp i want, where doing the BIAB in the kettle the temp was harder to manage.

'Tis himself

Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Yup! You nailed it dad-dad-daddio. Clean up would be a breeze if I wasn't such a cheap a$$ & reuse the grain sacks.
^^^^ i'm also a cheap a$$. i was the grain sacks in soap and water, and rinse the crap out of them, and let them soak, and then hang them up on the line in the basement for the next use... then i just boil them before i put all the grains in.

see, i'm cheap and lazy (except for show i call it being efficient).

'Tis himself

Old 11-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1639 Times on 1233 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

After making it to AG, I have actually settled back to PM.

I use ONLY pale or extra pale DME and add 2 lbs of pale 2 row and whatever specialty grains to make it what I want.

I rinse the grains back and forth between 2 large pots and 2 large dish drainer/strainers from wal-mart.

Quick Reply