Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract w/Grain vs. Partial-Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #1
efreem01
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Extract w/Grain vs. Partial-Mash

I've been thinking about my 5th batch now. AHS has options for mini-mash, all-grain or extract with every kit and i was wondering if there's a significant difference in taste between an extract w/grain kit and it's respective mini-mash? I'm thinking of maybe doing an imperial IPA, but i have to find a good kit.

Also, what kind of beer do you all recommend to go on a wyeast german ale yeast cake? I have cheesefoods CCA in a primary now and may just dump a new batch on top of the cake. Is this a bad idea due to the vanilla, lactose, and other ingredients in the caramel cream ale? Will they throw off the flavors of the next beer?

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

In my opinion there is a certain taste that goes with an extract brew that is not there in a All Grain.

I've heard it referred to has a home brew "Twang"

Old 04-22-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I as an extract brewer am thinking that extract brewing does have some kind of twang or something to it. After drinking some micros and then mine, it's just way different. I'm going to start partial mashing as soon as the extract I have for a couple of beers I planned is used to 1, test out this theory of mine on the taste (hopefully) and 2, to get it to come out lighter in color. No matter what I do these damn things are dark!

Old 04-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

The AHS partial mash recipes are very nice- I've done a couple of them in the past.

As far as that yeast cake, I think the vanilla and lactose would probably be a bad idea for your next beer, especially for an IIPA. I suggest washing your yeast, and then reusing it. Do a search for "yeast washing" and you'll find lots of threads about it. Also, look here, at the wiki: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind.../Washing_yeast

That might help. If it still smells like vanilla, though, I'd recommend tossing it out.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #5
efreem01

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy
In my opinion there is a certain taste that goes with an extract brew that is not there in a All Grain.

Is the extract taste a good flavor, or bad? I've done two extract kits and two partial-mash recipes. The first of the partial mash recipes isn't quite ready to drink. The 2nd partial mash brew is being moved to the secondary tomorrow evening.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"

Old 04-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy

Can you elaborate on this "twang?" Maybe this is what my beers have that I am trying to identify.

Does PM eliminate this?

Old 04-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
poguemahone

Recipes 

So far the last 4 or 5 batches I've done since getting back into brewing have all been AHBS mini-mashes and frankly I don't plan on moving beyond that any time soon. I love the flexibility I'm afforded, bouncing from style to style, in order to treat my taste buds and build up my knowledge base.
One of the guys at AHBS suggested mini-mashes when I restarted back in January, citing what I've already mentioned and he was very right.

Conditioning Keg 2:
Conditioning Keg 3:
Kegerator Tap 1: Dry Stout
Kegerator Tap 2: Six Malt Amber Ale
Kegerator Tap 2: Optimator Lager
Just Finished: Dry Stout

Old 04-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #8
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific
Can you elaborate on this "twang?" Maybe this is what my beers have that I am trying to identify.

Does PM eliminate this?
If we're all thinking of the same thing, it's just this taste that other good beers don't have. Not all that bad, but I'd like to see if I can get rid of it. Like I said going to go PM for a couple of reasons, and hopefully it does get rid of it.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
Rook

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ahh the twang!

Personally I don't like it one bit, it seems to detract from the beers to me, reminds me that I made it (not the good kind of reminder).

I think its related to carmelization of the extract. I know that my extract beers have all had a little of the extract burned on the bottom of the brew kettle.

I've since moved to partial mash with late malt extract additions. keeping the ME out of the wort until almost the end of the boil prevents some of the carmelization.
I'll be bottling my first one of those beers next weekend, and racking the second one to secondary on tuesday.

I wish I had known this was going to happen a long time ago, I'm about to dump the 3rd batch all together becuase of how bad it tastes. :-p

Old 04-23-2007, 01:52 AM   #10
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I wish we could exchange twang-y beer to see if we are talking about the same things. I kind of identify the taste as slightly sour, I am also debating the possibility of having an infection. But I have gone over everything and can't figure it out. . .my first beer didn't have it (half and half DME, LME). But it was there in force in the 2nd and 3rd (all LME).

I am going to try to do a partial mash with late boil malt addition see if this helps.

It is going to be quite a project to get the hops right.

Quick Reply