Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract vs. All Grain in competitions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
pacebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Extract vs. All Grain in competitions

This thread is not to start an argument. It is just something that i think should be.

Extract brewing, and steeping grains miss a giant factor in the brewing process.

the mash.

I dont believe that all grain and extract should be in the same competitions. Sure, we know that everything from the boil on is basically the same process. But the mash in brewing is in my opinion, aside from fermentation, the most important aspect to it all. It adds an extra level of difficulty and knowledge, that the extract brewer may possess but not put into practice.

With this being something that is undeniable. Why do they still combine extract and all grain beers in competitions?

im sure this has been discussed before, but my brief search did not provide me with any conclusions.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Well, you're entitled to your opinion........

And if you don't think this won't start an argument, you are deluding yourself.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-05-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
pacebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

its not an opinion... it is two totally different brewing styles. That's all im saying, maybe the judges should compensate for difficulty, they do so in nearly every other competition in the world.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
mattattack
Recipes 

Competition wise i have no idea why the two styles aren't in different categories. But I will say this sometimes i just don't feel like spending 3 hours over a kettle. extract is quick and easy but sometimes you do have to do all grain to get that certain flavor or feel that extract just doesn't give you.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Liked 5367 Times on 5226 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Who cares about difficulty? They are judging the final taste of a product in a blind taste test. Would you care if your favorite commercial beer had a completely computerized process that required little to no human intervention other than pushing a few buttons instead of having them make every batch by hand? No, all you care about as a beer fan is that the beer tastes good and meets your expectations. It doesn't matter how it got from grain to glass as long as it tastes good.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
pacebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

fair point. however, i still think conducting your own mash is a huge factor in producing beer or even as far as beer styles... mash temp variability, etc..

Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 AM   #7
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

Liked 5367 Times on 5226 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Well there's no arguing that you have far more flexibility in brewing all grain, but you just mentioned competitions. In the end, each category has strict guidelines as far as the beer goes so if someone can achieve that using extract or grain it really shouldn't matter. It meets the criteria, it tastes good, so may the best beer win.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

It's really a matter of the quality of the ingredients and the skill of the brewer, not simply extract vs. all grain. If an extract brewer uses quality fresh ingredients, then s/he can compete directly with an all grain brewer, unless the style uses specialty grains that are better off mashed.

The beer being judged is the end result of a process, not the specific method of brewing.

It doesn't matter how you get there, it's the end result that counts.

IMHO.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 06-05-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
pacebrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok I buy that reason. If anything the flexibility of all grain should theoretically produce the score prmium I'm thinking about. And if an extract brewer can hit that then may the best beer win. Good thread thanks all.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:56 AM   #10
Tlylebrew
Recipes 

From what I've read an extract should never win over all grain.. But I have to add, that I have made some delicious extract brews, ones I would have no problem paying money for in the store.. My friends seem to agree too.

Quick Reply