Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract Timing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
DeBAD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Default Extract Timing Question

I'm confused. The directions in my extract brews always call for adding 100% of the extract just before the boil. However I've been noticing many threads suggesting to stagger out the extract additions throughout the boil (ie half pre-boil and half with 30 minutes left).

What is the reason for that? Does that raise/lower OG or something?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
brew_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 572

helps to give you a lighter color beer

when I did extract brews using Dry Malt extract, I would put in a 1/3 at the start and then 2/3 at flame out

there are lots of ways to make beer

all the best

S_M

Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations.
jrgtr42 Likes This 
Old 11-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1855 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 1329

It's called late extract addition. I used 2lbs extract in 2.5-3.5 gallons of water in my 5 gallon kettle for hop additions. Remaining extract at flame out since it's still boiling hot & pasreurization happens at 160F. Lighter color & no extract twang.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

What the above posts have said is true and I agree, however it depends how much trouble or care you want to put into the batch. When I'm doing extract vs. all-grain, I don't tend to think it makes as huge of a difference in the finished beer as other, more important factors in the brewing process, so I just add all the extract in pre-boil. Nothing wrong with it really, but again it's all about how particular you like to be.

And If you're REALLY particular, you'll end up going all-grain.

On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 11-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Adding part at the beginning and part near the end is completely optional and is done for cosmetic reasons only. As the extract boils it will get slightly darker due to Maillard reactions. Do which ever method you want both are valid and will give you beer in the end.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3203 Times on 3107 Posts
Likes Given: 18

It's not just done for cosmetic reasons. If you're doing a partial boil, adding all of the extract at the start will result in the boil having a much higher SG than if doing a full boil, which leads to significantly lower hop utilization. Might not be crucial for many beers, but can make a huge difference in hop forward styles. By leaving some of the extract out until the last 10-15 min of the boil, the SG and hop utilization can be kept comparable to that of someone brewing the same recipe with a full boil. Even people doing a full boil sometimes do late extract additions for hop utilization purposes.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
unionrdr Likes This 
Old 11-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
DeBAD
Recipes 

I'm planning on a full 3-gallon boil for a 5-gal batch. So if I'm understanding everyone correctly it won't have any effect. Only in color? Or does it have any SG effect?

Old 11-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3203 Times on 3107 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBAD View Post
I'm planning on a full 3-gallon boil for a 5-gal batch. So if I'm understanding everyone correctly it won't have any effect. Only in color? Or does it have any SG effect?
Adding all of the extract at the start will result in lower hop utilization. Adding some of it late will result in higher hop utilization.

It has a huge effect on the SG of the boil, but none whatsoever on the SG of the finished product.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 11-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
DeBAD
Recipes 

So it sounds like especially if I'm brewing an IPA I should stagger it right? Would you go half at the beginning of the boil and half with 30 min or so left for the IPA or something different than that even?

Old 11-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1855 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 1329

No. Half @ 30 minutes would still give plenty of time for mailard reactions. @-3lbs in the boil of 3-3.5 gallons for hop additions will give better utilization. Since the wort is still boiling hot at flame out,& pasteurization happens @ 160F in seconds,adding extract at flame out will work fine. Iow,pasteurization happens well BELOW the boiling point. You don't need to boil the holy hell out of everything to pasteurize it.

Quick Reply