Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract to partial mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
beerdad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extract to partial mash

After reading the thread about what improved everyone's beer the most I narrowed it down to the 6 most common. In no particular order-

wort chiller
longer fermentation/clearing
partial mash/all grain
fermentation temp control
full boil
HBT!

Out of these right now I can't go to all grain of full boil for a few reasons. I'm going to get an immersion chiller and maybe a pre chiller set up. I'll have to see how the immersion chiller does on it's own. The longer fermentation/clearing time is coming along already, mostly beacause I increased how much beer I have been brewing. Temp control shouldn't be too hard just a big tub with cool water and a little ice. Maybe there is a chest freezer for me in the future. Are there any other better temp control methods?

The scariest part is going to partial mash. Does anyone know the boil size on an AHS partial mash kit? If it's more than 3 gallons and my stove can't boil it. I'm moving so hopefully my stove there is better. From what I have read on partial mash it's like steeping specialty grains but a little more involved. I can handle that. Does anyone have any advice for someone going from extract to partial mash? Are there any mistakes you made that might save me from making the same mistake?

thanks!

Primary #1 Panty Dropper Cider
Primary #2 Honey Brown Ale
Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Panty Dropper Cider
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Bottled European Ale, Corona Clone, Raspberry White Zinfandel, Old English 800 Clone
Drinking Double IPA
More Double IPA it was great!

Last edited by beerdad; 10-23-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdad
After reading the thread about what improved everyone's beer the most I narrowed it down to the 6 most common. In no particular order=

wort chiller
longer fermentation/clearing
partial mash/all grain
fermentation temp control
full boil
HBT!

Out of these right not I can't go to all grain of full boil for a few reasons. I'm going to get an immersion chiller and maybe a pre chiller set up. I'll have to see how the immersion chiller does on it's own. The longer fermentation/clearing time is coming along already, mostly beacause I increased how much beer I have been brewing. Temp control shouldn't be too hard just a big tub with cool water and a little ice. Maybe there is a chest freezer for me in the future. Are there any other better temp control methods?

The scariest part is going to partial mash. Does anyone know the boil size on an AHS partial mash kit. If it's more than 3 gallons and my stove can't boil it. I'm moving so hopefully my stove there is better. From what I have read on partial mash it's like steeping specialty grains but a little more involved. I can handle that. Does anyone have any advice for someone going from extract to partial mash? Are there any mistakes you made that might save me from making the same mistake?

thanks!
I ordered one pm from AHS, and it was a 2.5 gallon boil. It was done in the kettle, in a grain bag, and was very easy.

Old 10-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
beerdad
Recipes 

Great thanks that's what I wanted to hear. My next batch will be partial mash. I'm going to try to get my fermentation temps under control soon and get an immersion chiller sometime before christmas. That's the best I can do for my beer for now.

Primary #1 Panty Dropper Cider
Primary #2 Honey Brown Ale
Primary #3 Scottish Ale
Secondary #1 Empty
Secondary #2 Panty Dropper Cider
Secondary #3 Empty
Secondary #4 Empty
Bottled European Ale, Corona Clone, Raspberry White Zinfandel, Old English 800 Clone
Drinking Double IPA
More Double IPA it was great!

Last edited by beerdad; 10-24-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

My first PM was a kit I ordered from Midwest Brewing. It was "Cascade Ale" and it turned out great. Not a full boil and the instructions were easy to follow.

Quick Reply