Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > extract partial boil to full boil questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
smithnick0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default extract partial boil to full boil questions...

So ive read through some previous posts about this and cant find a clear answer. Can i start with 6-6.5 gallons of water and steep my grains just like directions say or do i need to steep with 2.5 gallons then add water before the boil? I also seen the hop debate about switching too. Are these the only 2 things you would change from partial boil to full boil?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
stanley1271
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From my understanding the idea behind using 2.5 gallons is that you can bring it to the correct temp faster than doing 6 gallons. Either way I would not think that there would be a real difference beyond how much energy you have to expend to get the larger to the right temp.

If the calculations are correct for the recipe (ie based on 6 gallons or 5 gallons or whatever gallons) then doing hops in a partial boil or full boil should not really matter. My understanding of building the recipe is that you figure out your hops and malts based on the resulting wort, not on what you started with. Your total water is also calculated based off your resulting wort size as well. Taking in of course, the amounts left behind or boiled off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujieagle View Post
I'm telling ya, she's nuttier than a squirrel turd.
Kegged:
  • AHS Anniversary Hefeweizen
  • American Devil IPA

Old 04-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts

If you have a kettle large enough, add the 6 gallons of water and steep. Then remove the grain bag and bring to a boil, remove from heat and add the extract. Then turn the heat back on and proceed with the boil. Here is a good instruction sheet that I used when I was doing extract/steeping batches.

http://morebeer.com/themes/morewinep...actBrewing.pdf

Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

When you do a Partial mash you are actually mashing the grains. That means that you are controlling the temps to allow certain enzymes to convert the starches within the grains to sugars. This is most effectively accomplished by keeping the enzymes ON THE STARCHES not floating around some large pool of water looking for them. That is why brewers use a specific ratio of water to grains. They want the enzymes 'concentrated' on the starches.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

steeping grains in 2.5 gallons and then topping up to full boil value is so you can get your temps faster and also so you can top off to the appropriate boil volume as opposed to getting up to temps with 6~ gallons, putting steeping grains in, losing volume from absorption, and then topping again.

You definitely need to adjust your hops to your boil volume as the more water you boil, the more aau's you get out of the hops.

and i dont think he means partial mashes here as he says extract partial boil to full boil; only his boil water volume.

So you want to be a leader? You want to change the game?
Turn your back on money, walk away from fame.
You want to be a missionary? Got that missionary zeal?
Let a stranger change your life, how's that make you feel?
You want to be a writer but don’t know how or when?
Find a quiet place use a humble pen.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceL View Post
If you have a kettle large enough, add the 6 gallons of water and steep. Then remove the grain bag and bring to a boil, remove from heat and add the extract. Then turn the heat back on and proceed with the boil. Here is a good instruction sheet that I used when I was doing extract/steeping batches.

http://morebeer.com/themes/morewinep...actBrewing.pdf
Those instructions are for steeping grains. Not the same as Partial Mash.

I guess the OP isn't doing a Partial Mash. No idea where I got that he was.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

to the OP, if all you're looking to do is increase your boil volume from 2.5 to 5-6 gallons, using a recipe with extract with steeping grains (not a partial mash), all you have to adjust is your hop additions.

as pwndabear stated, your aau (hop utilization) increases as your boil SG decreases. You can use less hops in a full boil to get the same utilization as more hops in a concentrated boil.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
smithnick0
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i have a 7.5 gallon kettle and wanted to try full boils for my extract kits. I was just mainly concerned if i had to steep grains in 2.5 gallons of water or if i could add 6 gallons of water and steep then bring to boil. I have a SQ14 burner i use.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #9
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithnick0 View Post
i have a 7.5 gallon kettle and wanted to try full boils for my extract kits. I was just mainly concerned if i had to steep grains in 2.5 gallons of water or if i could add 6 gallons of water and steep then bring to boil. I have a SQ14 burner i use.
yes, you can steep in 6 gallons as long as you're just using specialty grains with an extract recipe. I think that's what you are saying you're brewing

Old 04-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Yeah, I tried to derail the thread by brining up Partial Mash. Sorry about that.

Steeping? Doesn't matter. You're just extracting flavor and color.

Quick Reply