Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract kits and grains questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
chungking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default Extract kits and grains questions

The few kits I have made come with both cans of extract, dme, and/or grains. The directions say to bring the water to boiling, then steep grains for 30 minutes. From what I have read, this seems pointless. At this temp (200 degrees plus), it doesn't seem to be efficient. Wouldn't it be best to steep the grains at 150-160 degrees for a hour? Just wondering why all the kits say to do it like this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
AJBrew710
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Not sure why they recommend 200. Books, extract kits I used to brew (I liked the ones from Austin Homebrew Supply), and other sources recommended the 150-160 range. I'd stick with that and ignore the 200 degree temp on your kit.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungking View Post
The few kits I have made come with both cans of extract, dme, and/or grains. The directions say to bring the water to boiling, then steep grains for 30 minutes. From what I have read, this seems pointless. At this temp (200 degrees plus), it doesn't seem to be efficient. Wouldn't it be best to steep the grains at 150-160 degrees for a hour? Just wondering why all the kits say to do it like this.
"All the kits" don't say that. Most say to bring the steeping water to under 170 degrees and hold it there for 20 minutes or so.

There isn't any advantage to steeping for an hour over 20 minutes, though. There isn't any reason at all to steep the grains that long. Probably wouldn't hurt, but no reason to hold them that long.

Quick Reply