Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract kit fermentation instructions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
monkeyevil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extract kit fermentation instructions...

My Robust Porter says after 4-6 days I can expect bubbling to slow/stop. Then they either recommend moving it to secondary for a couple weeks, or basically racking after 48 hours of no bubbles...

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1...ust_Porter.pdf

Questions:
1. If it's ready to rack after say 5-7 days, why would they tell me to move it to a secondary with no CO2 production at that point.

2. I plan on just leaving it in the primary to condition. I figured at least a week past when I start getting solid gravity ratings. Perhaps two, but since this is my first I'm sure I'll get impatient.

Thoughts?

Here are the bubbles 4 days after yeast was pitched. For full disclosure, the wort was 60 deg F when I pitched the yeast, so they may have not been very happy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4929 Times on 3574 Posts
Likes Given: 994

You can leave it in primary for two-three weeks, and then just rack to a bottling bucket, skipping the secondary (more properly called a "clearing vessel" or "bright tank").

The whole primary/secondary thing is based on old techniques and not really necessary for the best product.

Once the SG readings don't change after at least three days, the beer is safe to bottle. I like to wait a while so that any "stuff" still in suspension in the beer falls out so that there is less crud that ends up in the bottles. Two to three weeks after brewing is usually a good time to plan to bottle.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply