Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract Kit Differences & Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2005, 12:35 AM   #1
OBX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extract Kit Differences & Suggestions

I have been looking at several Internet based brew shops with extract kits that include your malt, hops, steeping grains, and yeast and comparing them. I found an interesting site at www.norternbrewer.com. They tell you what is in kit, I like that a lot! I have seen kits that included 6 lbs of malt while another from a different store had 7 lbs. Question: does it make much difference (or what difference) does the 2 extra lbs of malt make? I know the more fermentables = more alcohol you end up with, but what about the body and taste. Does it matter that much that one pal ale comes with 6 lbs and another has 7 lbs other than if measuring alcohol percentages?

No matter what I say - I don't know what I am doing!
OBX

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottle conditioning: Stout (1-07)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Next up: not sure

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
Swervo Maneuver
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBX
I have been looking at several Internet based brew shops with extract kits that include your malt, hops, steeping grains, and yeast and comparing them. I found an interesting site at www.norternbrewer.com. They tell you what is in kit, I like that a lot! I have seen kits that included 6 lbs of malt while another from a different store had 7 lbs. Question: does it make much difference (or what difference) does the 2 extra lbs of malt make? I know the more fermentables = more alcohol you end up with, but what about the body and taste. Does it matter that much that one pal ale comes with 6 lbs and another has 7 lbs other than if measuring alcohol percentages?
Liquid malt extract weighs more than dry. Check the recipe, 6#DME is comparable to 7#LME as far as fermentables go.

Also, 7-6=1 extra pound (Yeah, baby. Shoulda been a math major.)
3. coat in Toxic Radioactive Armor
You're all set!

Old 05-09-2005, 09:19 PM   #3
OBX
Recipes 

Everything was liquid, no DME. One kit came with 7 lbs of liquid and the other had 6 lbs.

OBX

Old 05-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The difference would be a bit more body and alcohol.

I believe 1 lb of malt ranges (equals) between .5 - .8 % of alcohol. Some people will say .6, but it's just a quick math thing.

If you want more mouth feel/body then add 4 oz of Malto-Dextrin to your brew pot. It's not fermentable and really works.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:48 PM   #5
OBX
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99

If you want more mouth feel/body then add 4 oz of Malto-Dextrin to your brew pot. It's not fermentable and really works.

I might try that the next time I do this Robust Porter I am now tasting. It is only 1 week old in the bottle so I wasn't expecting much, but it is darn good. What it needs is a little more "mouth feel" and carbination, time in the bottle might give me both. I had a really nice milk stout the other day that must have had a lot of Malto-Dextrin. Do you need to offset adding it with a little more hops?
Thanks for the suggestion.

OBX

Old 05-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No, just add the MD and don't worry about adding anything else. It lends no flavor or alcohol that I am aware of. Just more body.

Quick Reply