Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract IPA's

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
ghank15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extract IPA's

Ok. Both of my fermenters will be freed up next weekend, and I really want to brew an IPA. Now, I'm looking at the recipes in the database and almost all of the extract recipes seem to require at least 6-8 pounds of dry malt extract.

At my LHBS, 1 pound of DME costs $5.99, which means that before I even buy the yeast and the hops, I am spending close to 50 bucks.( I believe they sell 3 pound bags for a more reasonable price, I am not sure what the price is, however)

First of all, am I being overcharged for DME?

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, is there a way to get the desired amount of fermentable sugars without using so much DME, perhaps using some LME (which costs more money, but is sold in 3 pound tubs)?

I know this is not a cheap hobby, but 60 dollars for a 5 gallon batch seems a little steep.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
TwoDollarBill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could do a kit... Brewers best makes a simple, decent IPA kit for $25-30. And that seems high to me for DME.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
Malstorme
Yeast-herder
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghank15 View Post
First of all, am I being overcharged for DME?
I don't know that you're necessarily being "overcharged", but $6 a pound is about twice what I pay in Oklahoma. I know east coast/VA/DC/NY etc prices are inflated, but that seems really high. There are plenty of homebrew supply places that will ship for 6-10 bucks, or free if you order enough.

My LHBS (High Gravity Brew) charges $2.99/lb for DME and will ship IIRC for $7.99 flat-rate. Pretty much everything they carry appears to be reasonably priced, so I'm lucky that I don't have to mail order. I've been looking at Austin Homebrew a little bit (those recipe kits of his look nice) and they offer free shipping if you spend more than $100. Links to the sites below:

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/

Good luck!

Mals

Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 100

single pound prices on LME and DME probably reflect the pain-in-the-arse more than the value of the contents.

3lb is a much more common size for DME, and if you buy three of those, you'll have plenty to do your starter with.

of course you can get a better deal buying even more -

Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My "LHBS" which is really just a kitchen supply cooking type store, has 3lb bags for 18.00 I think. I bought two bags for a last minute brew, but I think that store is overpriced, and they don't cater very well to the brewers. I have no idea how old the stuff on the shelves is, but I would guess its relatively old.

I will go in there for small things I might need like a hop bag or something, but my ingredients are bought exclusively online.

LME is usually a bit cheaper, but somewhat inferior in quality. You have to use more LME vs DME too, but it still equals out to be cheaper. My recommendation would be to go online and find a place that sells bulk hops and extract. For what I would pay for about 5 oz of hops at my LHBS I can get a lb online.

The AHS kits are all pretty well priced too, and I did a lot of those for my first several brews.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
outdoors76
Recipes 

My homebrew store sells DME for 12.99 per 3lbs, and LME for 12.99 per 3.3lbs. They do ship but not sure what the cost is, here is the link if you want it http://boothsbrewing.com/. They are based out of Tampa, hope this helps.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

The IPA I'm drinking right now used 6.6 lbs LME and 1.5 lbs DME. I just used what I had available for the malt, but I think it turned out pretty well.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Holy high prices, my local weekendbrewer.com sells bulk LME (he has light, amber, and wheat even all on co2) for 2.18 a pound.... sounds like high prices. If I were the OP, I would seriously consider doing some kits from NB (Chinook IPA, Dead Ringer IPA, Black IPA, etc) even with their 7.99 shipping, you will probably save some money, get tried and true recipes, and also be able to order some stuff in bulk from them all while paying the 7.99.

If you want to formulate your own recipes then my suggestion isn't all that relevant. But, I'm on my 12 batch or so and still want to pull the trigger on several of the NB kits even now.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #9
Ravenshead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Snark-on:

This is one of the reasons I do not live in New Jersey

Snark-off.

Carry on.

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polorl69 View Post
I had no problems whatsoever getting my pee to ferment.

Old 05-21-2011, 11:09 PM   #10
ghank15
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenshead View Post
This is one of the reasons I do not live in New Jersey
Lol. I wish I could change that.

I may consider doing a kit for my IPA. Or, I may consider doing something else. My first batch was an oktoberfest kit, my second was a vienna(sort of) lager, whose recipe I crafted from various other recipes, and my third batch was an ale of my own concoction, but pretty basic (cascade hops, LME, caramunich steeping) I want to do something more hoppy, and I thought to myself, "What is more hoppy than an IPA?"

Thanks for the input, I honestly never considered buying online before even though I knew the sites were out there.
Thanks for the input

Quick Reply