Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract brewing: does everyone buy kits or does anyone buy the materials separate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #31
opus345
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_stodd View Post
I started with kits, then looking up extract recipes and gathering ingredients. A couple times I went on the northern brewer website, then spec'ed out what a kit would cost if I bought the ingredients separately, there was little difference.

The nice thing about a kit is that you're usually going to have little waste. When you do your own recipe, you might have to buy much more than the recipe calls for
Agreed. Have been using kits (mostly from AHS and NB), but have also started to make non-kit recipes. The extra/waste quantities are starting to accumulate in the frig.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #32
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Do you not have a local place that sells grains in exact amounts?
Is that uncommon?
I'd probably do kits if I couldn't as I don't like stuff sitting around long.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #33
opus345

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
Do you not have a local place that sells grains in exact amounts?
Is that uncommon?
I'd probably do kits if I couldn't as I don't like stuff sitting around long.
LHBS does sell grains in 1lb bags, but not complete confidence that the label always matches the malt/grain.
Mead: Capsicumel, Strawberry, Jalapeno, Triple Berry, Blueberry, JOAM (2g), Apfelwein (20g),
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #34
BrewingPrepper
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Im only only on my first brew...I started with a kit. I look forward to customizing my recipes and eventually going all grain!

Drinking-IPA
Fermenter-Oatmeal Stout

If anyone has concerns about the direction the world is going please PM me for more details...

Old 01-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #35
rodwha
Recipes 

Being sold in 1 lb bags doesn't give you much flexibility. You'd no doubt end up with various opened bags of different grains in the fridge. That's what keeps me from buying my grains online with the bulk of my other ingredients.

Instead I buy locally where I can buy it by the oz and have it all mixed up in the one bag meant for the pale, and another meant for the amber, etc.

Otherwise you'd need to try to create your recipes or tailor them to use up those grains so they don't get wasted.

Have you looked to see if there are any other LHBS anywhere else convenient?

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 01-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #36
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha

Otherwise you'd need to try to create your recipes or tailor them to use up those grains so they don't get wasted.
That can be interesting as well. Making a brew soon called "inventory ale" to us up the leftovers from 1lb packs as well as leftover hops.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #37
Hogarthe
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

I always liked buying kits. even now that I do all grain, I still usually buy kits. that way I know I'm getting a solid recipe that makes a good beer. when you make up your own recipe, you don't know if it's going to be that good or not, and you're wracked with worry until you can finally taste it. But mainly I do kits because it's easier. just pick a style of beer you want and then order a kit in that style. no hassle of figuring out what ingredients fit ion the style, etc. I would definitely recommend starting with kits for anyone's first several beers, before trying to make their own recipe. If you have never brewed before and you throw together a recipe, 1, you don't know what ingredient adds what flavor yet, and 2, if it comes out bad, you don't know if you have a bad recipe or a bad process. with a kit, if it comes out bad, you know you screwed something up while making it.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #38
Beerbelcher44
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Austin homebrew has some nice budget kits. Might want to check them out.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:32 AM   #39
opus345

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
Being sold in 1 lb bags doesn't give you much flexibility. You'd no doubt end up with various opened bags of different grains in the fridge. That's what keeps me from buying my grains online with the bulk of my other ingredients.

Have you looked to see if there are any other LHBS anywhere else convenient?
AHS has started selling 1/2 lbs which might help in the future.
On Deck:

Sleepycat Brewery

Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #40
rodwha
Recipes 

I'm OK with keeping milled grains for a little while, but not so much for hops. If I'm going to split up a pack of hops I will schedule the next brew day within a week as I'm uncertain as to how quickly they will fade.

Quick Reply