Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract brewing: does everyone buy kits or does anyone buy the materials separate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #11
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think of myself mainly as an all grain brewer, but if I am short on time I have no problem going wih extract. In those cases I have used recipes that either I convert from AG to extract myself, or are from the Brewing Classic Styles book that has each recipient in an extract and all grain version

I'm drinking a best bitter that I brewed from that book now. I used the northern brewer marris otter syrup for the base malt - and I have to say its one of my best beers ever! I did modify the recipe a bit knowing that extracts often are not as fermentable as you might get in all grain. I removed some of the syrup and substituted corn sugar - about 7% I think - keeping the OG constant. Finished at 1.012 and is fabulous!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

The other one I recommend is the 15 minute cascade ale. Amazing and fast. Makes use of the hop bursting technique (all late addition hops) and takes advantage if the fact that extract doesn't need to be boiled long.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Thanks all for the info. Very helpful.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 309

I put a couple of extract kits from well-known internet places on my christmas list. Figured it was easy to buy and would be fun to brew. Last night I brewed the black lager kit from midwest. I was done in 2.5 hours. Perfect for a weeknight. This was a very nice change from my usual 4.5 hour brew day. If the beers turns out well, I'll be doing this more and more.

I'm thinking of doing a simple pilsner extract with one selected variety of hops in the near future. No steeping grains. I could theoretically be done in about an hour and forty-five minutes.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
mtnagel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
I put a couple of extract kits from well-known internet places on my christmas list. Figured it was easy to buy and would be fun to brew. Last night I brewed the black lager kit from midwest. I was done in 2.5 hours. Perfect for a weeknight. This was a very nice change from my usual 4.5 hour brew day. If the beers turns out well, I'll be doing this more and more.

I'm thinking of doing a simple pilsner extract with one selected variety of hops in the near future. No steeping grains. I could theoretically be done in about an hour and forty-five minutes.
Nice to see a fellow Cincinnatian on here

And what you mention is what has kept me from going to all grain and it would change it from a 'brew in the evening after work' thing to a 'only brew on the weekends' thing, which can be tricky, especially during the summer with so much stuff going on and definitely during football season.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #16
hairy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It is weird because here in Singapore, kits are actually the cheapest to brew, both in terms of ingredient cost and equipment startup cost.

It's like ~ $S 50 for a kit plus extract. The unhopped extract alone will cost that amount when I do non-kit extract brew.

With pale malt at $S 7 per kg, we are staring at $S 40+ worth of malt for each batch of normal gravity. Throw in the hops and yeast, it will be cheaper than non-kit extract but cost wise still higher than kits.

Weird.

Reason: typo

Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #17
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2108 Times on 1846 Posts
Likes Given: 1556

My partial mash ales cost on average about $10 less than my average extract batch. But with extract I can also get 6 gallons,depending on the recipe.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #18
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I was pretty tired last night - I forgot to mention kit-hacking!

Wait for an extract kit to go on sale - they sometimes do - and then use hops or grains (perhaps also sourced on sale!) to craft something unique.

My first homemade stout was based on a terrible can-and-kilo kit I grabbed for $5 (dented) from the grocery store. Steeped some roasted barley and flaked oats, dropped in a bit of molasses, and presto - "President's Choice Canadian Lite Ale" kit turned into a stout that my Irish soccer buddy had to admit stacked up well with Guinness.

So, there's always kit-hacking!

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Old 01-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
mtnagel
Recipes 

Nice, I like that - kit hacking. I actually might do that with a double IPA kit I got for $20! I was thinking of making 2 pale ale batches (it's almost the same recipe, but with double the ingredients). So it would be $10/5 gal!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
ludomonster
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Making my own recipes is part of the fun for me. I know people who have brewed tasty beers from kits, so I don't on kit brewers. I'm OK with people enjoying homebrewing for reasons different than mine.

Bottled: Old Freckled Men, Berlin Mart Cider, Creamer Ale II
English Mother****er, Do You Drink It Pale Ale
C4 Pale Ale (Centennial, Challenger, Cascade, Citra hopburst)

Gone: Honeybadger Wheat Ale, Bad Amba Jamma, Badder Amba Jamma, Slam Dunkelweizen, Creamer Ale I, Robust Porter

Quick Reply