Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract brewing: does everyone buy kits or does anyone buy the materials separate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Default Extract brewing: does everyone buy kits or does anyone buy the materials separate?

It seems like it might save some money to buy the materials separately instead of buying a pre-assembled kit, but maybe not. I could always tweak the recipe too. So does anyone do that or does everyone just buy kits?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
twalte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I did 4 extracts and switched to all grain. Saves about $10 per batch, and I like being able to play with the all grain recipes.

To avoid investing in equipment, I just used this process and bought a $10 bazooka screen for the brew kettle. You could also look at Brew In A Bag (BIAB). However, I already had a pot that could handle a full boil.

Nothing wrong with extract, but I liked the money savings and the availability of more recipes.

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechnique...chmidling.html

"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
BorealBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 104

When I want to make something quick and easy, extract-based kits are great. One of the LHBS here makes some good ones.

Otherwise, AG or extract, I like blending my own recipe, which means buying malts, grains, hops, and otherwise separately. Not so much about saving money, more about making the beer I want to make.

IMHO, it's a trade off between time and $$$. I've made some batches recently from malt I sprouted and kilned, and hops from the backyard. Besides time (which was considerable...it took a few weeks to make the malt!) my biggest expense for those brews was the package of yeast. AG is more effort than extract - but cheaper.

Boreal Brewer

-"Son, you can't sing or dance, I don't like your writing, and you can't draw a picture to save your life. But you make a fine beer!" An 80 year old friend

Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 343

My buddy does all extract, but NOT kits. He mixes everything himself. More variety that way. And cheeper.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: CoffeeDryStout
Fermenting" Irish Red Ale
Dry Hopping: German IPA
Bottle Conditioning: German Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Wai`anae Summer Ale
(N.English Brown)
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: Old Glory Am. Stout
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout

Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Rider View Post
My buddy does all extract, but NOT kits. He mixes everything himself. More variety that way. And cheeper.
same here, buying all the ingredients at my LHBS is actually cheaper than buying the kits from say northwest or midwest brewing BEFORE shipping, let alone after.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Drewski8986
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I agree with above posts my initial brewing kit came with an 8 gallon pot and an extract kit . I did 4-5 extract batches purchasing ingredients separately and moved to all grain after that I have done a few extracts in between for a quick brew

Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Cathedral
40oz to freedom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I used to do kits but there was always at least one thing about them that I wish I could do my way; so I stepped up to doing all grain for my low to mid gravity brews and partial for my high gravity brews.

I *like* the kits I did, but they never quite felt "mine," you know? Assembling the grains and/or extracts myself helps me feel like it's more of my own creation instead of just following steps that someone else made up. Not that there is anything wrong with that; it's just a personal thing.

Kegged: Jalapeno Cream Ale

Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
abelseville
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

If I buy my extract and hops in bulk I pay about half of retail at my LHBS. I would imagine if you added up everything in that kit you are paying full retail for it. Plus the whole point for me is making my own recipes.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
HopZombie99
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I do partial mash brews and buy only the ingredients I want. Course, here in New Zealand, there is not a lot of "kit" variety. I choose the ingredients as it seems more fun than just assembling a kit. I like to be able to choose the materials.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #10
Nagorg
If a frog had wings...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I've done both and had good results each way but preferred the personalized feeling of non-kit batches. I'm doing all grain now and if I decide to do another extract batch I'd probably be buying ingredients separately. Although I have to say that some of the Austin Homebrew kits look interesting....

Quick Reply