Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extract at boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2008, 12:58 AM   #1
worty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extract at boil

I wasn't thinking and added the extract for my apple ale during the boil instead of at bottling. I didn't read ahead and added it when the directions called for adding apple juice if that's what you're using. Am I screwed? Is there anything I can do to help it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4279 Times on 3118 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by worty View Post
I wasn't thinking and added the extract for my apple ale during the boil instead of at bottling. I didn't read ahead and added it when the directions called for adding apple juice if that's what you're using. Am I screwed? Is there anything I can do to help it?
I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about. Could you explain what you mean about bottling and boiling? Are you adding apple juice at bottling?

Old 09-27-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
worty
Recipes 

You could use either extract or apple juice. I used extract.
I added the extract at the boil instead of at bottling.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:08 AM   #4
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ie, it was supposed to be for carbonation. Well, now it's just some more alcohol in the product. For carbonation you will need to add something else - either more extract, or juice - after the ferment is complete, and immediately before (like minutes before) bottling.

This is referred to as priming sugar (helps us know what you are talking about) - aside from malt extract or juice, you can also use corn sugar (dextrose), maple syrup, honey, and even cane sugar, though that's low on the totem pole.

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 453 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I think that the amount of sugar that would be listed on a recipe for priming wouldn't make much of a difference added at boil. Hardly a drop in the bucket compared to all the fermentables in there. Just hafta get some more for bottling now.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:46 AM   #6
cdburg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Are you talking about apple extract for flavoring? If you added the apple flavoring extract during the boil, the flavor may have mostly boiled off...

Old 09-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
worty
Recipes 

I used apple wine flavoring that came with the kit 10 minutes before the end of the boil. Sounds like it can be saved.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Kungpaodog
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think you'll be fine, but from what I understand you will have less of the apple flavor you are trying to get in the end product. I think the yeast will eat the apple juice during fermentation. I would imagine you can add the same amount of apple extract that was originally called for right before bottling and be alright, but I hope someone who has actually made a brew like this should also chime in and help you out. "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. It'll still be good because YOU made it!" -CP

Quick Reply