Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extra Week of Primary vs Extra Week in Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Jayhem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Regarding the comments of the last two posters, I just want to address the falsity of trub flavor going into your beer if it's left in the primary for 3-5 weeks, and the poor practice of racking as soon as desired FG is reached.

The first situation will not happen unless yeast autolyzation sets in after a period of months. Furthermore, after the yeast use sugar and oxygen to create alcohol and carbon dioxide, their job is still technically not complete. Your beer may very well at target FG, but it will also contain a ton of precursor laden off flavors. These precursors should really be reabsorbed by the yeast if you want a quality beer. This takes time - usually takes 3-4 weeks total in the carboy in the 60's (F). Lastly, I've noticed 17-21 days of bottle conditioning at 72 F is ideal for my ales.
Highly agreed!

Once I started leaving my beers in primary for a minimum of 21 days they have improved greatly! Yeast need time to clean up their fermentation bi-products!

Next up: American Brown Ale
Primary 1&2:
Primary 3&4:
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Yes,definitly. I let the beer get down to FG,then let it sit another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle. They'll nedd time to not only carbonate,but condition as well. I've found conditioning takes about a week longer than carbonating on average. It does depend on the gravity/ABV as well.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

+1 for bob's comments. There's a very strong case to be made for leaving it on the primary for longer than what is strictly needed to bring it down to FG (if Revvy were here, he'd give you many more reasons why). But if it's already been on for three weeks, I'd say extra time in the bottle is probably more beneficial than extra time on the primary, on balance. But leaving the beer on the primary for 4 weeks as opposed to 3 will almost always give you better, clearer, cleaner-tasting beer, as opposed to imparting "trub flavors", whatever that means. And autolysis generally takes WAY longer to become an issue than the time periods you're dealing with here. Don't fear the primary!

Old 11-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrewcom View Post
Being new to this I have put together my own kit which currently doesn't include a hydrometer. I've been meaning to pick one up so maybe this will give me the kick needed to pick one up.
Get either a hydrometer or refractometer ASAP. Having a way to get gravity readings is important. I'd say its even more important (critical) for new brewers. Until you've brewed enough with the same yeast, under a range of conditions, you need a way to KNOW when its actually done. Then you can let taste tell you when its time to move the batch to next steps (bottle, etc.).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1942 Times on 1404 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Check the gravity. If it's terminal, then bottle at the 4 weeks. 1 extra week or so should be good enough for any yeast clean up.

I'd rather have a better chance at proper carbonation than worry about 4 vs 5 weeks primary.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
matt-tastic
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Regarding the comments of the last two posters, I just want to address the falsity of trub flavor going into your beer if it's left in the primary for 3-5 weeks, and the poor practice of racking as soon as desired FG is reached.

The first situation will not happen unless yeast autolyzation sets in after a period of months. Furthermore, after the yeast use sugar and oxygen to create alcohol and carbon dioxide (which takes a total of 3-7 days) their job is still technically not complete. Your beer may very well at target FG, but it will also contain a ton of precursor laden off flavors. These precursors should really be reabsorbed by the yeast if you want a quality beer. This takes time - usually takes 3-4 weeks total in the carboy in the 60's (F). Lastly, I've noticed 17-21 days of bottle conditioning at 72 F is ideal for my ales.
I'm not arguing, by any means, but hadn't read anywhere about the yeast cleanup. It makes perfect sense, but i've read a couple brewing books & guides and hadn't come across it.

I also agree with your conditioning process. room temps for 2-3 weeks at a start. I usually only put beers in the fridge when i know i'm going to drink them in the next week or so.

A question. would leaving in the primary to let the yeast "clean up" be better than racking to secondary, or are the generally the same process?

Old 11-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-tastic

I'm not arguing, by any means, but hadn't read anywhere about the yeast cleanup. It makes perfect sense, but i've read a couple brewing books & guides and hadn't come across it.

I also agree with your conditioning process. room temps for 2-3 weeks at a start. I usually only put beers in the fridge when i know i'm going to drink them in the next week or so.

A question. would leaving in the primary to let the yeast "clean up" be better than racking to secondary, or are the generally the same process?
Leaving the yeast in primary is more beneficial to clean up since its the yeast that does the cleaning up. If you rack to secondary you leave the yeast behind

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
matt-tastic
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
Leaving the yeast in primary is more beneficial to clean up since its the yeast that does the cleaning up. If you rack to secondary you leave the yeast behind
Thanks. I would think that the yeast left in suspension would still get the job done in secondary, but i'll try leaving my next one in primary longer to see if there is a considerable difference.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-tastic View Post
It's not better or worse. Either way, there should still be plenty of live yeast in your beer to ensure proper clean up.

That said, if I were racking to secondary, I wouldn't do it until around week 3 (or when it was time to dryhop). Reason being, I would want as much clarity as possible. Let gravity, patience, and time do 90% of the work for you in that regard.

Quick Reply