The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Extra Week of Primary vs Extra Week in Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
kcbrewcom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Extra Week of Primary vs Extra Week in Bottles

I've got a Coffee Milk Stout in primary right now that has been there for almost three weeks. I am hoping to roll it out to my family and friends on Christmas, I am debating leaving it in primary for a total of four vs five weeks which means in bottles for four or three weeks. So I guess my root question would be would four weeks in primary and four in bottles be better than five in primary and three in bottles? Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
Straight6TT
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I certainly cant say for sure but my opinion is an extra week in bottles would be better so you will be sure that it is fully carbonated!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts

What's your OG? If its not a big beer, I'd say the extra week in bottles. Both sides have a fair argument though

Old 11-16-2012, 04:14 AM   #4
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I say the extra week in the bottle will help the finished product more given your time restraints.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by menerdari View Post
I say the extra week in the bottle will help the finished product more given your time restraints.
+1

Definitely an extra week in the bottles, or buy a keg setup for Christmas and don't worry about it. Just keg it two weeks before serving.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #6
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

OG would help out a lot. Also, pull a sample if you've not confirmed its at FG. If it is at a stable FG, and a lower ABV batch (under ~6%) then you could bottle. But taste the sample to make sure its actually ready to go to bottles first. You'd be amazed at what an extra week in primary will do compared with an extra week in bottles.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
kcbrewcom
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Being new to this I have put together my own kit which currently doesn't include a hydrometer. I've been meaning to pick one up so maybe this will give me the kick needed to pick one up.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
matt-tastic
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you've reached Target Gravity, leaving it in the fermenter won't do much of anything, other than put the flavor of your trub into your beer (which may be a good thing, depending on style i guess).

If it's done fermenting, bottle it and put it away until xmas.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 450 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 200

If the beer is at FG, which I am pretty sure it is at this point, and it tastes perfectly fine then there is no benefit to letting it sit any longer, package it up and let it carbonate and condition

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Regarding the comments of the last two posters, I just want to address the falsity of trub flavor going into your beer if it's left in the primary for 3-5 weeks, and the poor practice of racking as soon as desired FG is reached.

The first situation will not happen unless yeast autolyzation sets in after a period of months. Furthermore, after the yeast use sugar and oxygen to create alcohol and carbon dioxide (which takes a total of 3-7 days) their job is still technically not complete. Your beer may very well at target FG, but it will also contain a ton of precursor laden off flavors. These precursors should really be reabsorbed by the yeast if you want a quality beer. This takes time - usually takes 3-4 weeks total in the carboy in the 60's (F). Lastly, I've noticed 17-21 days of bottle conditioning at 72 F is ideal for my ales.

Quick Reply