New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > extra fridge temp control question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Pelican521
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default extra fridge temp control question?

I've got an extra full size fridge in my garage and was wondering if I need a temp controller and how they work or can I just adjust the temp setting inside it to get a temp I need?

If I can adjust the fridge temp with the "dial" inside it why would I need a temp control?

As you can see, I'm not too familiar with this sort of thing...

Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
BigFloyd

Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican521 View Post
I've got an extra full size fridge in my garage and was wondering if I need a temp controller and how they work or can I just adjust the temp setting inside it to get a temp I need?

If I can adjust the fridge temp with the "dial" inside it why would I need a temp control?
Because you can't really do it accurately with the fridge thermostat. It doesn't have the temp range you'll need anyway.

Don't worry. Got ya covered. Set the fridge to its coldest setting and let the STC-1000 control the temp. The controller, outlet and box will cost you about $30 to build.

It's a set it and forget it sort of thing that will keep the temp inside your fridge or freezer right where you want it for ideal fermentation conditions. Good temp control ==> happy yeast==> tasty brew.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html

Old 03-23-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the info Big Floyd, not sure if it's the beer talking but it seems a bit complicated. I'll take a look with fresh eyes tomorrow, hopefully it's easier than I'm making it out to be.

What I like is that it won't alter my electrical components of the fridge (which will keep SWMBO happy).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
BigFloyd

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the info Big Floyd, not sure if it's the beer talking but it seems a bit complicated. I'll take a look with fresh eyes tomorrow, hopefully it's easier than I'm making it out to be.

What I like is that it won't alter my electrical components of the fridge (which will keep SWMBO happy).

It's really easier than you might think at first. Watch the video through a couple times, paying careful attention to the wiring parts and you'll gain the confidence to tackle it. If you have a friend who understands basic electrical wiring have them help you and then reward them later with some of the extraordinarily tasty brew you will make using good temp control.

When I built my first one (of two that I use), I stopped what I was doing 3-4 times to take a look at the YouTube video to double-check my work. When it came time to test it, I used a table lamp in the plugs and set the controller to activate------yahoo!! It worked and it's been working great ever since. The second one was, of course, much easier.

An experienced brewer friend told me when I was starting that after he set up a freezer in his garage like this, the quality of his beers improved more from that one change than because of anything else he did to develop his brewing techniques, including going to all-grain.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks BigFloyd, I think you convinced me. I saw one of these stc 1000 units on amazon for $18, is that good? I have amazon prime so I won't pay shipping and get it in 2 days

Old 03-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
BigFloyd

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks BigFloyd, I think you convinced me. I saw one of these stc 1000 units on amazon for $18, is that good? I have amazon prime so I won't pay shipping and get it in 2 days
That's less than I paid for mine off amazon, so yes that is good. Make extra sure it's the 110V version, not the 220V.

2-day Prime shipping surely is nice.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Not sure if I want to do the DIY paint can heater, any other low watt heating ideas I can use that won't require putting together?

Old 03-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #8
Pelican521
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Woohoo, my STC1000 came today!

Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Not sure if I want to do the DIY paint can heater, any other low watt heating ideas I can use that won't require putting together?
I use the brewbelt in one of my fermentation chambers. Works really well. Downside is it only heats one carboy instead of the whole chamber.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 03-28-2013, 01:24 AM   #10
TANSTAAFB
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

There are reptile heaters of different wattages that screw into a light fixture and don't emit light. I use Hydrofarm seedling heat mats at about $25 a pop...just duct tape to the carboy!

Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Quick Reply