Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Expresso stout suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 358 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello
I can say definitely use a fine grind as you would for espresso. You may want to try and test out the taste. I was thinking of mixing 1/4 oz of coffee with 12 oz of a stout beer. If it was enough taste for me then I would assume I can brew the right amount of coffee and bottle with that. It may not make sense though but so far, it makes sense to me. Someone also suggested getting a commercial bottle of stout, cold brew a cup of coffee, get an eye dropper of sorts and just start with a couple of drops at a time until the coffee flavor is where I wanted it.
Why not just cold brew a big batch of concentrate then add to taste at bottling/kegging? Its basically the same thing. As long as you add a little at a time, mix it in, then taste.. You'll get the flavor right where you want it every time. No measuring coffee necessary, no testing ratios or trying to brew the exact amount of coffee needed.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #12
MikeDAdams
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Use bustello coffee.
I went from using a charbucks xmas blend to bustello and my coffee stout is now one of my most sought after beers.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
Bfranklin007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

MikedAdams
Where can I get bustello coffee?

Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklin007
MikedAdams
Where can I get bustello coffee?
In the coffee isle at any grocery store.

EAC - 5/2/14

On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

MikeDAdams Likes This 
Old 11-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
Jeffries55
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by timrox1212 View Post
You can cold brew coffee and add it to the secondary but I personally like to use grains that give off strong coffee flavors such as black patent and carafa 2. I use 1/2 a pound of each in my steeping grains for all my stouts.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're cold brewing coffee, why couldn't you just add the grinds to the secondary like you would during dry hop? I've thought about doing this same style (as I love Stone Expresso IRS even over KBS), but played around with the idea of:

1) coursely grinding the beans and adding straight to the fermentor (~12-16 oz for an imperial eStout) or

2) Grinding the beans and adding to a sanitized finely meshed nylon hop sack

Old 11-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffries55

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're cold brewing coffee, why couldn't you just add the grinds to the secondary like you would during dry hop? I've thought about doing this same style (as I love Stone Expresso IRS even over KBS), but played around with the idea of:

1) coursely grinding the beans and adding straight to the fermentor (~12-16 oz for an imperial eStout) or

2) Grinding the beans and adding to a sanitized finely meshed nylon hop sack
If you add them to the fermenter you have to take a sample everyday to see how the coffee is coming along. If you cold brew a batch and add at bottling/kegging you can add to taste and get exactly the amount of coffee flavor your looking for.
Really the coffee can be brewed any way you'd like but cold brewing doesn't extract as much acidity and brings out more of the flavor of the bean IMO.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 11-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
TallDan
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I brewed the Brewers Best Russian Imperial Stout extract kit early this year and had great results with adding brewed and cooled espresso to the secondary. I used Intelligentsia Black Cat coffee brewed with my home espresso machine. I just added it to the fermenter after the krausen fell. I want to say i added 1 cup (which is a lot of espresso), but i could check my notes. My wife still says that beer was her favorite homebrew. The coffee flavor was nicely balanced with the beer.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
TobyG
Reverend of Beer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I have been brewing a coffee stout at least twice a year since 1995. My original method was to add the grounds in a mesh bag at flameout while it was cooling to pitching temperature. Since I switched to a plate chiller, I didn't want to leave the coffee in at that high a temperature for that amount of time. So, I switched to a cold brew system. I use a Toddy system now to cold brew concentrate a few days in advance. I can then experiment to get the profile I'm looking for. I took a 1mL syringe from the pet medicine stash and using 3oz samples of Guinness Foreign Export stout (which is very similar to my stout base), I added varying amounts until I got the flavor profile I was looking for. Once you have that, just divide by 0.0047 (roughly 3oz/640oz) and you'll have the amount of coffee to add to the 5 gallon batch. Or in my specific case, the 3oz sample with 2mL was what I was going for, so 2 / 0.0047=425, so I added 425mL per 5 gallon batch and hit exactly what I was looking for. The biggest advantage to cold brewing is that you don't get as much acid or tannin extraction as a heated method.

Toby
Brasserie L'Etrange (my brewhouse build) My Untappd Profile
On Tap: Fièvre du Cerise au Cacao (chocolate cherry stout), Saison de la Sorcière (dark saison) Fièvre du Cerise (cherry stout), Centenaire d'Inde (Centennial IPA)
In the cold room waiting their turn: Écossais Gras (Strong Scotch)
Fermenting:
Next brew day:

Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #19
brent77
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
I can say definitely use a fine grind as you would for espresso. You may want to try and test out the taste. I was thinking of mixing 1/4 oz of coffee with 12 oz of a stout beer. If it was enough taste for me then I would assume I can brew the right amount of coffee and bottle with that. It may not make sense though but so far, it makes sense to me. Someone also suggested getting a commercial bottle of stout, cold brew a cup of coffee, get an eye dropper of sorts and just start with a couple of drops at a time until the coffee flavor is where I wanted it.
This is the analytical side of me being a jerk, but if you keep adding coffee drops at a consistent volume per drop, while sampling the beer, you couldn't just say it took 12 drops for the coffee flavor to be perfect. Those 12 drops would have been added on a exponential scale vs the volume of the original beer. You'd have to add fractions of a drop proportional to the original vs current beer volume. You'd need 12 beers each with a different starting amount of coffee. Sounds like a great test!

If you look at pictures of beer blending at breweries, they always set up a matrix of cups with various blending proportions.
Secondary #1: Sour Apfelwein Secondary #2: Empty
Bottled: Belgian Trippel IPA, Summer Saison
On Tap: TrueAmerican Pale

Old 11-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #20
TobyG
Reverend of Beer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent77 View Post
You'd need 12 beers each with a different starting amount of coffee. Sounds like a great test!
That is almost exactly what I did, although I didn't use 12 samples. I poured 4 x 3oz samples, and added 0.5mL, 1mL, 1.5mL, and 2mL. It only took one bottle to get the right amount. Admittedly, I had 4 bottles and was prepared to make the sacrifice if additional sampling was required.

Toby
Brasserie L'Etrange (my brewhouse build) My Untappd Profile
On Tap: Fièvre du Cerise au Cacao (chocolate cherry stout), Saison de la Sorcière (dark saison) Fièvre du Cerise (cherry stout), Centenaire d'Inde (Centennial IPA)
In the cold room waiting their turn: Écossais Gras (Strong Scotch)
Fermenting:
Next brew day:

Quick Reply