Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Expresso stout suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
Bfranklin007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Expresso stout suggestions

I am new to home brewing, I am about to try my first stout. I enjoy a strong coffee flavored stout. Can someone help me understand my best means to really pack in a presence of coffee? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Cheers!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
timrox1212
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

You can cold brew coffee and add it to the secondary but I personally like to use grains that give off strong coffee flavors such as black patent and carafa 2. I use 1/2 a pound of each in my steeping grains for all my stouts.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
Bfranklin007
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

timrox1212, Thanks for the input. I will be using an extract. I am entertaining the idea of putting espresso beans into the boil. I am just questioning how long. I was thinking of going with 30 min. to start with and see how it comes out and adjust on the next batch. Although, I am not 100% sure this is the method I will take. This is why I posted this thread to get some input and ideas of different options. Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated and helpful.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #4
timrox1212
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

Do not boil the beans at all!! When you boil coffee beans it releases tannins and will creates bad off flavors. Cold brewing coffee is easy. Take 1 1/2 cup ground coffee and 4 cups water and combine them in a container. Set it in the fridge overnight and then strain through a coffee filter. Rack your beer ontop of this concentrated coffee.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfranklin007
timrox1212, Thanks for the input. I will be using an extract. I am entertaining the idea of putting espresso beans into the boil. I am just questioning how long. I was thinking of going with 30 min. to start with and see how it comes out and adjust on the next batch. Although, I am not 100% sure this is the method I will take. This is why I posted this thread to get some input and ideas of different options. Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated and helpful.
My understanding is to not boil the coffee itself because you will extract Tanins making it really bitter. For pure flavor I've read you are best to cold brew like the previous poster mentioned.

However I have yet to actually brew with coffee myself but have been researching... I'm curious to see what others say.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
Bfranklin007
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Sounds good. Will this give me a strong coffee flavor? If not, what can I do to get the most out of that flavor?

Old 10-24-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 528 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Cold brew a big batch of strong concentrate then add to taste at bottling time. I've done this a few times for my coffee brown and the coffee flavor always comes out perfect.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Empty
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 10-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #8
kerant
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timrox1212 View Post
Do not boil the beans at all!! When you boil coffee beans it releases tannins and will creates bad off flavors. Cold brewing coffee is easy. Take 1 1/2 cup ground coffee and 4 cups water and combine them in a container. Set it in the fridge overnight and then strain through a coffee filter. Rack your beer ontop of this concentrated coffee.
I was thinking instead of grinding it fine to put it in the chopper then cold brewing. Shouldn't make any difference right?

Hop Goblin

Old 10-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 528 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerant

I was thinking instead of grinding it fine to put it in the chopper then cold brewing. Shouldn't make any difference right?
Grind the beans up fine(espresso grind) when you cold brew them. Once your done cold brewing(I like to leave mine for 24 hours) filter the coffee off the grounds into another container. From there you can add to taste.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1720 Times on 1221 Posts
Likes Given: 2878

I can say definitely use a fine grind as you would for espresso. You may want to try and test out the taste. I was thinking of mixing 1/4 oz of coffee with 12 oz of a stout beer. If it was enough taste for me then I would assume I can brew the right amount of coffee and bottle with that. It may not make sense though but so far, it makes sense to me. Someone also suggested getting a commercial bottle of stout, cold brew a cup of coffee, get an eye dropper of sorts and just start with a couple of drops at a time until the coffee flavor is where I wanted it.

Quick Reply