Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Exposed to light?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
wcostigan1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Exposed to light?

I have brewed about 10 -1 gallon AG batches so far, and have always had a cabinet that I could stash my fermentor in to keep it out of the light. I just brewed my first 5 gallon batch, and living in a small house in Florida, without a fermentation fridge, I have to keep my carboy in my living room. At first I used a thick moving blanket to wrap the carboy, but that seemed to insulate it and bring the fermentation temp up. I found a navy blue pillow case with a high thread count (1 ply blocked light pretty well when I tested) and cut a hole in the sealed end and slipped over my carboy. My question: will this pillow case block enough light? Has anyone tried this before?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
CB_in_Tokyo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I use better bottles, and cover them with a T-shirt. My Carboys aren't in direct sunlight, but there is certainly ambient light in the room. I haven't had a batch go skunky. I don't know if the better bottles have some kind of protection against sunlight though.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
wcostigan1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB_in_Tokyo View Post
I use better bottles, and cover them with a T-shirt. My Carboys aren't in direct sunlight, but there is certainly ambient light in the room. I haven't had a batch go skunky. I don't know if the better bottles have some kind of protection against sunlight though.

Cool! In your experience, the shirt doesn't insulate the carboy much if at all?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
CB_in_Tokyo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It must a little, but it is usually a Costco undershirt, pretty thin and flimsy. The advantage is if I need to cool things down I can wet the shirts and blow a fan on them.

Quick Reply