New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > explosive fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
awarner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default explosive fermentation

woke up this morning to the airlock hissing and krausen coming out of it. ive waited about 7 or more hours and it hasnt calmed down.
what should i do?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #2
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Liked 3850 Times on 2813 Posts
Likes Given: 640

A blow off tube would be a great idea! When you take out the airlock, do it very slowly, or you'll have a beer fountain. Then gently take off the lid to reduce some of the pressure. Install a blow-off tube, and you should be all set.

You'll use a piece of tubing, sanitized, and replace your airlock with it. If you're using a carboy, I think it's a 1" size. If it's a bucket, the siphon tubing can fit in the hole. Put one end in the top of the fermenter, above the krausen line, and the other end in a pitcher of water/sanitizer or water/vodka mix so that the tube is covered by liquid. That should help! (Oh, and put the pitcher on the floor, not on top of the fermenter).

One other thing- check the temperature of the fermenting beer. It's great if you have a stick-on thermometer on the outside, but if you don't sanitize a thermometer and check the temperature. Violent fermentations like you describe tend to get "hot" and you may be a bit too warm for optimum fermentation conditions. If it's too warm, we can give you tips on how to get it lowered.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:20 AM   #3
awarner
Recipes 

thanks i put a blow off tube on and its doing great.
what are some good ways to keep it cooler?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

stick it in the garage... nevermind, i see you live in the desert. what's the temp there?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
rpappi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

bathtub of water would work. dont over cool or cool it too fast. you might shock the yeast.

what temp is it at now.

Last edited by rpappi; 12-06-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
awarner
Recipes 

the garage temp gets up to the 60's in the day but can dip into the lower 30's to upper 20's at night so i was thinkin the temp change might stress the yeast.
i put a fan in the mancave (the small walk in closet where most of the fermenting takes place) and it brought the temp down to the mid 60's and the violence stopped.
thanks for all the help guys!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
PanzerBanana
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yep, blow-off tube. My second and first original batch I decided it'd be a good idea to use one. Turned out to be a good idea. I've been using one ever since.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
jamie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Everytime I make ed worts haus pale ale the fermentation is super aggressive. I stopped using an airlock with this recipe because the last time I used one I went on a trip to ottawa and my gf had to take off the airlock as the krauzen was fomaing through it. Long story short the krauzen blew up in her face and she was not pleased.

From now on when I brew the haus pale ale I always run a blow off tube into another bucket.

Quick Reply