Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > exploding beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #31
MPOWELLJR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Learn to love the ways of the blow off tube lol... my second batch must have looked like a geyser coming out of the air lock spraying my pantry down with krausen before the lid blew off the bucket.

I've been lucky enough to not have a bottle bomb yet.

Secondary batch aging - Old Oak Barrel Ale
Bottled - Pumpkin Ale, Caramel Cream Ale, Strawberry Blond, Summer Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #32
heeler
Recipes 

Gents, I thought the majority of the folks now go long primaries - like 20 to 30 days. If you did there would be almost no chance of bottle bomb, right??? I also do long primary and no secondary but I've never had a exploder either. My fav fermenter does have a spigot but it does not leak, and in the chiller I dont think bugs would get in or survive. Just my two cents - no judgement passed. Live and learn and keep brewin.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #33
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's my simple observation that if you had used a blowoff tube instead of an airlock we would not be having the conversation on HBT. You wouldn't have relied on the bubbling airlock (which, tell me that now you understand how useless an indicator of anything important it is; it's more of a fascination point for all of us here), and you would have been forced to check your SG and FG instead of the bubbles. No bottle bombs happen if you follow the imperial, proven zymurgy steps.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #34
TryNotToFockThisUp
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr210 View Post
So I bottled my first brew about two weeks ago now, I had one explode a day or two after bottling, and two more just exploded today. Now, I know that it's a product of over-carbonation that this happens, but is it a concern for all the beers I currently have bottled, or is it just random chance? Are there precautions I can take to make sure none explode in my next batch?
This happened to my second batch in my garage. I threw on some protective gear, covered them with a blanket & smashed them with a hammer. It was terrible even though I like things that explode.

Well, we have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people. ~ Patrick Bateman

Old 02-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #35
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

AHHHHH, zombies!!

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #36
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeler View Post
Gents, I thought the majority of the folks now go long primaries - like 20 to 30 days. If you did there would be almost no chance of bottle bomb, right??? I also do long primary and no secondary but I've never had a exploder either. My fav fermenter does have a spigot but it does not leak, and in the chiller I dont think bugs would get in or survive.
Mainly agree. I've been brewing for about 12 years (one contest entry - third place in a Philly Beer Week Home Brew IPA contest) and never had an exploder. I use a minimum of three weeks in the fermenter, often more, no secondary, and an air lock. I make sure I have a decent amount of air space at the top of the fermenter.

I rack to the bottling bucket to do my bottling. Don't count on a chiller to kill bugs. They are pretty resistant to cold. There may be things about your process that give you bug-resistance and I don't advise changing a process that works, but if it stops working, you might want to rethink.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #37
drainbamage
Something something danger zone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearwall View Post
I second the responses about WHY youre getting the bombs. If someone told you to bottle when the bubbles stop, no wonder youre seeing them pop. Get the hydrometer/refractometer and do it the right way. Also, if you want to keep ypur beer sweeter and stop fermentation, get you some wine conditioner and kill off the yeastie boys right before you bottle.
Won't adding wine conditioner just kill off the yeast you need to carbonate? Winemakers don't need to worry about that because they generally aren't carbonating.

I've had a few batches with gushers/bottle bombs. They were due to bottling as soon as I reached the target FG on the recipe instead of taking multiple readings to actually confirm fermentation had stopped.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #38
nvious23
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I took my first gravity reading today it should be 3 weeks primary on wendesday. I am at final gravity on a low abv witbier. I might bottle tomorrow without taking a second reading.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #39
drainbamage
Something something danger zone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 571 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvious23 View Post
I took my first gravity reading today it should be 3 weeks primary on wendesday. I am at final gravity on a low abv witbier. I might bottle tomorrow without taking a second reading.
Once again, if I can be a cautionary tale, don't jump to bottling just because you hit a target FG that may be listed on the recipe or kit. Depending on your brewery efficiency, you could stop short of that number, or keep going past it (I've had both happen). It won't hurt anything to wait a couple more days to take a second reading and confirm your FG hasn't changed.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #40
nvious23
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
Once again, if I can be a cautionary tale, don't jump to bottling just because you hit a target FG that may be listed on the recipe or kit. Depending on your brewery efficiency, you could stop short of that number, or keep going past it (I've had both happen). It won't hurt anything to wait a couple more days to take a second reading and confirm your FG hasn't changed.
True its extract so efficiency shouldn't be an issue. Would it?

Quick Reply