Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > exploding beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 AM   #11
JohnTheBrewist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

A sanitized turkey baster will do, but a thief is a little easier IMHO since you can draw your sample and test your sample with the same device. . If the tube your hydrometer came in is meant for samples just don't fill it quite so full, otherwise use a hydrometer jar or thief.

If you have space, it's easiest to put them in a plastic bin and the into the fridge to cold crash. This also allows you a little protection while transporting them.

Just so you know, you're not alone in this... In my early brewing career, i decided to make strawberry soda. I followed the directions to a tee and then bottled it in corona bottles. I had them conditioning in a cabinet in the kitchen. One morning I heard a boom in the kitchen and my wife yells "oh sh!t". Then another boom!, and another, etc. I quickly grabbed a trash can to put them in. By the time I got home from work that night, every one of my bottles had the bottoms blown out.

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 03:05 AM   #12
jpr210
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycount View Post
Pint glass is probably too short. Just buy a thief or use a turkey baster and a graduated cylinder. Alot of things can cause bottle bombs: bottling too soon (incomplete fermentation), using too much priming sugar, incomplete mixture of priming sugar.

Give us some details about how you determined it was time to bottle and how you primed and bottled.
i think i didn't wait long enough before i bottled it. i just waited till there were no more bubbles in my airlock (as per the suggestion of my LHBS). it was a little hasty...i used a 5oz bag of dextrose, so i dont think that was the problem

Old 06-28-2011, 03:20 AM   #13
Intrevix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr210 View Post
i think i didn't wait long enough before i bottled it. i just waited till there were no more bubbles in my airlock (as per the suggestion of my LHBS). it was a little hasty...i used a 5oz bag of dextrose, so i dont think that was the problem
That was the same thing my LHBS told me. Thankfully I found this forum and decided to let my beer sit in the secondary for a while more (until I got no change on the hydrometer). I really don't understand why they do this to new brewers... they must know that if bottles start exploding we'll never be allowed to brew again.

Best of luck with the cold crashing!

Old 06-28-2011, 03:24 AM   #14
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yep just wait longer. You know the drill now.

Learning is all part of the process!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
Riddick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrevix View Post
That was the same thing my LHBS told me. Thankfully I found this forum and decided to let my beer sit in the secondary for a while more (until I got no change on the hydrometer). I really don't understand why they do this to new brewers... they must know that if bottles start exploding we'll never be allowed to brew again.

Best of luck with the cold crashing!
my LHBS told me the same, directions even said it too. 'when bubbling is done, fermenting is done, start bottling!'. Havent had any bottle bombs *yet* since this is my first batch but i figure next time im going to leave it alone for a lot longer next time.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I think all those beer kits tell you to bottle when you have no airlock activity.... Bad advice. An airlock can never replace a hydrometer or refractometer as an instrument to gauge fermentation by. An airlock is simply that, a barrier between your beer and the bugs in the air.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
Just use the hydrometer tube if you have it. It is a small amount compared to a pint glass.
When you fill the hydrometer tube, if it has two removable caps, keep your finger on the bottom one. I forgot once, and the cap came off, spilling the beer.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #18
jpr210
Recipes 

all of this leads me to another question, should my fermenter have a spigot on it to make it easier to take samples? i got two buckets when i bought all of my equipment and they said the one with the spigot is for bottling, the other without it is the fermenter, its looking now like it would just be easier to have two buckets with spigots on them. what does everyone here think? does anyone else use a fermenter w/ spigot?

Old 06-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
bluemoose
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr210 View Post
all of this leads me to another question, should my fermenter have a spigot on it to make it easier to take samples? i got two buckets when i bought all of my equipment and they said the one with the spigot is for bottling, the other without it is the fermenter, its looking now like it would just be easier to have two buckets with spigots on them. what does everyone here think? does anyone else use a fermenter w/ spigot?
Step away from the bottling bucket!

You shouldn't use your bottling bucket for fermenting. The spout could leak over time, it is not as sanitary (gives the bugs a place to hang out), and soon you will be getting a few more primary fermetors. How are you going to feel when you beer in one of the primaries is done and you can't bottle it because you have beer fermenting in your bottling bucket?
I use a turkey baster, and the tube my hydrometer came in. The other thing I do now is let it sit in primary for 3-5 weeks. That way I know it has finished, unless it is a crazy big beer. Once you get a pipeline it will be easier to do this.
You didn't hear it from me, but... You can use stellar sanitation and take a hydrometer reading right in the primary. *Gasp* It has been known to happen on occasion and produced no ill effects.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #20
JohnTheBrewist
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
Step away from the bottling bucket!

You shouldn't use your bottling bucket for fermenting. The spout could leak over time, it is not as sanitary (gives the bugs a place to hang out)...
Hogwash! All of my fermenting buckets have always had spigots. They could leak a little,yes, but it is seldom. And, that chance is well worth never having to siphon again. Since I always remove the spigots for cleaning, I test the bucket for leaks with water and sanitizer before using it. I always keep a spray bottle of Starsan handy, and just give the spout a spray before using it to transfer my beer. I've NEVER had an infected batch. My conicals also have drain ports, and I haven't had any issues with bugs getting in there either.

Somewhere between
your liver and spleen
its always clear
for one more beer!

Quick Reply