Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Explanations for a dark color

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
AJAX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Explanations for a dark color

I am new to this and just completed cooking up my second batch yesterday but something seemed odd... the color. I was cooking a pre-made mexican cerveza kit and was expecting it to be a light yellow color but when put in the primary fermenter it was more of a brown color. Is this just the kit I was using or is there something in the process that affects color? (The kit said it was a corona type beer)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Stef1966
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That happened to me in the first batch i brewed, also from a kit i had bought.

I have found that it was because of the density, being in a large container, the color looked darker, and specially in my glass carboy, it looked a lot darker than i expected, but when i bottled it in those small bottles, i could see it wasnt as dark as it appeared.

Hope this will also be the case for you.

As long as there is some Beer left, there is Hope.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Extract beers, especially those made with liquid extract tend to be darker than an all grain beer...It's a common problem inherent in the making of the extract...There are several tricks to mitigate it...Do a search for "Late Extract Addition" and you will find the info you need.

Also switching from liquid to the lightest dry malt extract, will work as well...again if you search, you will find many tips and tricks to lighten your extract beers.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-21-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
AJAX
Recipes 

Thanks I bet that it was the liquid malt extract. The first part used only grains and it was a golden yellow, but as soon as the liquid malt was added it went brown and stayed that way. Looks like I'll have to look into only using grain rather than a liquid malt. Thanks again!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #5
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Maybe you got some old malt extract? I use LME almost exclusively and have made some pretty light colored beers, I do always add it late in the boil though. It's also not canned, but fresh bulk extract from my LHBS.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Quick Reply