Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Experimenting with priming

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 02:48 AM   #1
Newfermenter1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Experimenting with priming

Anyone ever use jelly/preserves for priming? Nothing with chunks of fruit, but peach, cherry, jalepeno, apple, etc, etc? boil it up instead of sugar, or corn syrup? Might be cool, anyone try it before? good or bad idea? Same ratio?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The problem I see is that most jams have preservatives, this can stunt the yeast and carbonation could fail. Another problem could be the fact that fruits have different types of sugars, so carbonation could take a long time, or pectins from the fruit could add haze. The fruit would probably leave a taste in your beer, and this might not work with the style, on the otherhand it could make the beer more interesting (I'm not really into fruit beers). I wouldn't try it since corn sugar is cheap and you know it works.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
Reno Homebrewer

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Also, it would be hard to know how much fermentables were in the fruit, so you may end up with relatively flat beer, or bottle bombs.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Dubbel, American Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale (Yeast Fuel experiment), Doppel Bock
Up Next: Brown Ale

Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

And preserves have pectin. That's what makes it set. It could make the yeast coagulate and fall out of solution.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Interesting idea but it sounds like a good way to get unpredictable results and cloudy beer.
If you are going to do it then I thnk I'd do it in clear PET soda bottles so I could see what was happenong and squeeze test for pressure.

Why not do it on a part of a batch using different priming agents?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 AM   #6
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Whenever anybody mentions using anything unusual to bottle carb, the same question always comes up...

If you're interested in adding the flavor, why take the chance with unpredictable carbonation results when you could just add it to the secondary instead?

When you really stop to think about it, there is almost no reason to add anything unusual at bottling because all of it could have been more easily added in secondary. You get all the flavor and aromas, but don't have to worry about bottle bombs or under-carbonation if your estimate of the sugar content is off.

Seriously, just add it to secondary if you're that curious. You'll get pretty much the same result flavor-wise, but you won't have to cope with unpredictable carbonation.

I once bottle conditioned with honey. It worked fine, but in retrospect, it would have been easier and just as tasty had I added it to secondary and I wouldn't have had to try and figure out how much I needed to add to carb... The only reason I would do it again is to put it there on the bottle to impress people- "bottle conditioned with 100% pure honey". Otherwise, dextrose works perfectly well and eliminates the guesswork.

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 02-11-2008 at 06:57 AM.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
Newfermenter1

Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot
Whenever anybody mentions using anything unusual to bottle carb, the same question always comes up...

If you're interested in adding the flavor, why take the chance with unpredictable carbonation results when you could just add it to the secondary instead?

When you really stop to think about it, there is almost no reason to add anything unusual at bottling because all of it could have been more easily added in secondary. You get all the flavor and aromas, but don't have to worry about bottle bombs or under-carbonation if your estimate of the sugar content is off.

Seriously, just add it to secondary if you're that curious. You'll get pretty much the same result flavor-wise, but you won't have to cope with unpredictable carbonation.

I once bottle conditioned with honey. It worked fine, but in retrospect, it would have been easier and just as tasty had I added it to secondary and I wouldn't have had to try and figure out how much I needed to add to carb... The only reason I would do it again is to put it there on the bottle to impress people- "bottle conditioned with 100% pure honey". Otherwise, dextrose works perfectly well and eliminates the guesswork.
Interesting, and thanks for the input. When adding anything to the secondary, I presume that it should be treated similar to the initial wert, i.e. boil it up for sanitation, then cool it quickly and pour it in?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:24 AM   #8
adx

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I would hesitate to try any experiments. I have 2 cases of experiments sitting in my closet. They're flat.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:49 AM   #9
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot

Otherwise, dextrose works perfectly well and eliminates the guesswork.
What he said.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 AM   #10
JNJC
Recipes 

If you are going to add something to flavour the beer what is the difference between adding it to the primary or secondary fermenter ?

Quick Reply