The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Experimental idea, new to advanced brewing!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #1
Kadmium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Experimental idea, new to advanced brewing!

Ok guys, so I am fairly new to brewing in general, but have that whole "can of wort, hot water, dextrose in a beer fermenter kit" pretty down pact, and was thinking of experimenting. I am going to first try with a simple experiment on conditioning beer with fruit? My theory is to use a nice blen of traditional British Ale hops / wort etc and let ferment in the primary for around 7 days (or untill done) then rack into a glass carboy for conditioning/secondary. My theory is, when racking it off to rack this onto frozen / boiled raspberries (about 2 pounds) and let it all condition in there for 2 weeks or so, then bottle. Will this

A) kill the yeast? (doubt it but still worries me)

B) Cause a funky beer?

C) do anything to add to the flavour?

D) enhance my beer, or just mess it up, including the bottling?

E) Promote Autolysis? (yeast mass suicide)

thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2007, 01:08 AM   #2
Erbium:YAG

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe you should post some questions on brewing when you're of legal age to drink. The last thing we home brewers want is to have special interest groups lobbying for legislation that eventually stamps out our hobby because we knowingly supported underage drinking. I hope you can understand this perspective. It's not a snub.

Last edited by Erbium:YAG; 01-14-2007 at 01:16 AM.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:25 AM   #3
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbiumyag
Maybe you should post some questions on brewing when you're of legal age to drink. The last thing we home brewers want is to have special interest groups lobbying for legislation that eventually stamps out our hobby because we knowingly supported underage drinking. I hope you can understand this perspective. It's not a snub.

Maybe he isn't from the U.S. If you notice the way he spelled "flavor"?

flavour

The 'u' tells me he's from the U.K. Not sure what their drinking age is, but maybe it's not 21!

As for an answer, sorry, I'm still a noob

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 01-14-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbiumyag
This dude is (or claims to be) from Australia. Laws are different over there.

The only fruit beer that I have done is a chocolate cherry stout. If you are worried about the clarity of your beer I would consider primary fermentation for about a week, then rack onto fruit, let that sit until airlock activity dies down, then rack to a tertiary for clearing.

I wouldnt recomend boiling the fruit. Steam it or steep it at 160*F (71*C).

- magno

Old 01-14-2007, 01:34 AM   #5
Erbium:YAG

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My mistake, I had just seen the profile for someone from TX. The legal age in Australia is 18.

Last edited by Erbium:YAG; 01-14-2007 at 01:37 AM.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:56 AM   #6
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadmium
Ok guys, so I am fairly new to brewing in general, but have that whole "can of wort, hot water, dextrose in a beer fermenter kit" pretty down pact, and was thinking of experimenting. I am going to first try with a simple experiment on conditioning beer with fruit? My theory is to use a nice blen of traditional British Ale hops / wort etc and let ferment in the primary for around 7 days (or untill done) then rack into a glass carboy for conditioning/secondary. My theory is, when racking it off to rack this onto frozen / boiled raspberries (about 2 pounds) and let it all condition in there for 2 weeks or so, then bottle. Will this

A) kill the yeast? (doubt it but still worries me)

B) Cause a funky beer?

C) do anything to add to the flavour?

D) enhance my beer, or just mess it up, including the bottling?

E) Promote Autolysis? (yeast mass suicide)

thanks in advance!
a - Won't kill the yeast, you'll still have plenty in there.
b - I don't think so. I put frozen raspberries in one of mine and I think it was fine
c - Yes, it will give it a fruity background
d - depends on the recipe, but with what you've got, you should be OK. I actually added 2 pounds to mine and it wasn't fruity enough for SWMBO, so I added some raspberry extract at bottling.
e - You'd have to be pretty nasty to the yeast to cause them to off themselves.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Old 01-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Kadmium
Recipes 

hahha, I dont "claim" to be from Australia mate, I am! fair dinkum! I even got the southern cross tattooed to my arm! but yes, the drinking age is 18 here, same as driving. But to be able to drink and drive (BAC of .05 or less) is 21, where as at 18 you are on your "Probationary" or "P's" and you may not have ANY alcohol in your system I know, but just some facts for you.

Also, thanks for the info guys! you are a great help! Think I might add 3 or 4 "pounds" of raspberries then!

, K

Old 01-14-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Raspberries are potent; I'd still to the original 2 pound plan, especially in a fairly mild base beer. Personally, I'd rather have a good beer that had some raspberry flavor, than a raspberry drink with a hint of beer.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply