Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Excessive Foam during Fermintation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
rizman460
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Excessive Foam during Fermintation

I have brewed a Belgian Ale it included 3/4 lb belgian candy sugar. Now, the fermintation process I have excessive amount of foam in the fermination bottle. Should I move the beer to a secondary fermintation bottle? Any suggestions would be great. FYI, my beer is almost at the correct FG 1.014 it is at 1.02

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1524 Times on 1448 Posts
Likes Given: 52725

No, leave it in the primary. It's fine.

"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel

Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's not foam, it's krausen. DOn't move it or anything...in fact we rarely use secondaries any more, and opt for month long primaires instead. Just clean it up and install a blowoff tube, and relax.

The best way to stall your fermentation is to move it BEFORE it's done fermenting...why take it off the yeast to best do the job of finishing the beer?

Watch these videos of one of my beers...that came out fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
itsme6582
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Just leave it. There isn't much need for a secondary. You'd be better off to keep it in the primary until it's ready to bottle.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 AM   #5
rizman460
Recipes 

So, when it gets to the point where the FG does not move then I know the fermintation process is done and the yeast have done all they can do.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:10 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizman460 View Post
So, when it gets to the point where the FG does not move then I know the fermintation process is done and the yeast have done all they can do.
Fermenting the beer is just a part of what the yeast do. If you leave the beer alone, they will go back and clean up the byproducts of fermentation that often lead to off flavors. That's why many brewers skip secondary and leave our beers alone in primary for a month. It leaves plenty of time for the yeast to ferment, clean up after themselves and then fall out, leaving our beers crystal clear, with a tight yeast cake.

Read this.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-30-2011, 04:14 AM   #7
GeoGirl
Recipes 

Riz - Is this the Belgian Ale from True Brew? I had a large amount of krausen with that and it blew my airlock off. I let it sit in the primary for 2 weeks, then racked it to the secondary for another 2 weeks (needed the primary bucket for brew #2). Just bottled it yesterday and the FG was 1.018 (it had been at that for several days)

Old 03-30-2011, 04:20 AM   #8
rizman460
Recipes 

GeoGirl,

No it is not the Belgian Ale from True Brew. It is a clone I worked up of La Chouffe, one of my favorites. Was hoping not to wait 4 weeks.

3/4 lb Belgian Candy Sugar
1/2 oz Dried orange peel (bitter type)
1/2 oz coriander (spice)

Old 03-30-2011, 04:42 AM   #9
ryandlf
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

4 weeks may be the optimal time to leave a beer on yeast but lets be real here, if you're just brewing to drink at home and your out of homebrew 2 weeks is generally a perfectly acceptable amount of time to leave the beer on the yeast cake. If you bottle, well unfortunately your going to have to wait. If you keg...you could technically be drinking a perfectly acceptable beer in 2.5 - 3 weeks.

On-Tap:
Highland Oatmeal Porter Clone
Jungle Love APA

Quick Reply