Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Excellent brew session
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
SoCalBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SoCalBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Bay, California (Not the Bay Area)
Posts: 116
Default Excellent brew session

I just finished making my Imperial Stout. 1.093 on the hydrometer. This was a half grain half liquid recipe. (Is that called a partial mash?)

I started with 6.5 gallons of water. After I got to boil and dumped in my 12# of liquid malt, I realized that I was at a good 7.5 gallons. I decided to leave the lid off for the whole boil so that it could reduce down enough. That made it very easy to control boil over, and I didnt have one.

When I was done with my boil, I got it into the 6.5 gallon carboy, capped it and let it continue to cool. Later I pitched my humongous yeast starter, and set it up with a blow off tube.

I can tell this one is gonna be good. I got it down to about 5.5 gallons, and still had the good hydrometer reading. I went ahead and gave it a taste. Sure it was sweet as all hell, but behind the sweetness I could see a fantastic beer waiting for me in about a month.

__________________

On Deck- NorTor Black, 10 gallon batch of Agent Orange

Primary 1-Long Beach Berry Wine
Primary 2-Empty
Secondary 1-Empty
Secondary 2-Empty
Secondary 3-Empty
Secondary 4-Empty

Keg 1-Imperial Stout
Keg 2-Edworts Apfelwein

Past Beers-Agent Orange (A keeper); Hefeweizen (You wont be missed), Agent Orange II

SoCalBrewing is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,231
Liked 615 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrewing
I just finished making my Imperial Stout. 1.093 on the hydrometer. This was a half grain half liquid recipe. (Is that called a partial mash?)

I started with 6.5 gallons of water. After I got to boil and dumped in my 12# of liquid malt, I realized that I was at a good 7.5 gallons. I decided to leave the lid off for the whole boil so that it could reduce down enough. That made it very easy to control boil over, and I didnt have one.

When I was done with my boil, I got it into the 6.5 gallon carboy, capped it and let it continue to cool. Later I pitched my humongous yeast starter, and set it up with a blow off tube.

I can tell this one is gonna be good. I got it down to about 5.5 gallons, and still had the good hydrometer reading. I went ahead and gave it a taste. Sure it was sweet as all hell, but behind the sweetness I could see a fantastic beer waiting for me in about a month.
Nice job.

PS - Don't boil with the lid on...even prior to boil over risk.
BierMuncher is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sir Humpsalot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,043
Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Nice job.

PS - Don't boil with the lid on...even prior to boil over risk.
But go ahead and keep the lid on prior to boiling... it saves propane if you heat with the lid on. But then take it off once the boil starts so you can release all the DMS.
__________________
In Process: Mango Beer, Homebrewers Pale Ale
Bottled/Kegged:Spicy Light Rye, Rice-adjunct Pale Ale, Mild Bourbon Porter, Roasty Stout, Basic Light Mead, Bourbon County Stout Clone
Up Next: Berlinerweiss, Chocolate Raspberry Ale, and American IPA
Sir Humpsalot is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
malkore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
malkore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 6,922
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

and yes, that's called a partial mash. if you're using real grains and extracting sugars from them, that's a partial mash.

if you only steeped specialty grains for color and flavor, that's not really a partial mash.
but steeping is the next step towards mashing

__________________
Malkore
Primary: English Mild
On tap: Pale Ale, Lancelot's Wheat, English Brown Ale, Steam Beer, HoovNuts IPA
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10
malkore is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
newguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sierra Vista
Posts: 271
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Awesome!! I love a good session where you know the beer will kick as$ Best part is, it generally does

I'm doing a E.S.B. and a Stout over the weekend. Hope to have a kicking brew day(s)

__________________
-=Evil Wit Brewing=-

--I Brew Therefore I am...-

In the Works: Common room ESB--(AG) Belgian Wit---(EXT)

Meadery: Grape apple mesquite cyser

On Tap: Common Room E.S.B.-----Belgin Wit
newguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
ethangray19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 247
Default Dms????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Squirrels
But go ahead and keep the lid on prior to boiling... it saves propane if you heat with the lid on. But then take it off once the boil starts so you can release all the DMS.

what is DMS???
__________________
ethangray19 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dumb@ss brew session of the day! Zymurgrafi All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 34 02-21-2013 05:48 PM
Excellent Brew Day - 2 problems BarnabyHooge General Techniques 2 08-02-2009 01:36 PM
Fun little brew session alterosity Extract Brewing 4 12-19-2008 12:15 AM
IPA Brew Session 8/11/07 Brewtopia Home Brewing Photo Forum 17 08-17-2007 06:24 AM
Did my first brew session lastnight EricK The Red Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 09-06-2006 11:36 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS