Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Excellent brew session

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
SoCalBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Excellent brew session

I just finished making my Imperial Stout. 1.093 on the hydrometer. This was a half grain half liquid recipe. (Is that called a partial mash?)

I started with 6.5 gallons of water. After I got to boil and dumped in my 12# of liquid malt, I realized that I was at a good 7.5 gallons. I decided to leave the lid off for the whole boil so that it could reduce down enough. That made it very easy to control boil over, and I didnt have one.

When I was done with my boil, I got it into the 6.5 gallon carboy, capped it and let it continue to cool. Later I pitched my humongous yeast starter, and set it up with a blow off tube.

I can tell this one is gonna be good. I got it down to about 5.5 gallons, and still had the good hydrometer reading. I went ahead and gave it a taste. Sure it was sweet as all hell, but behind the sweetness I could see a fantastic beer waiting for me in about a month.

On Deck- NorTor Black, 10 gallon batch of Agent Orange

Primary 1-Long Beach Berry Wine
Primary 2-Empty
Secondary 1-Empty
Secondary 2-Empty
Secondary 3-Empty
Secondary 4-Empty

Keg 1-Imperial Stout
Keg 2-Edworts Apfelwein

Past Beers-Agent Orange (A keeper); Hefeweizen (You wont be missed), Agent Orange II

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 615 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrewing
I just finished making my Imperial Stout. 1.093 on the hydrometer. This was a half grain half liquid recipe. (Is that called a partial mash?)

I started with 6.5 gallons of water. After I got to boil and dumped in my 12# of liquid malt, I realized that I was at a good 7.5 gallons. I decided to leave the lid off for the whole boil so that it could reduce down enough. That made it very easy to control boil over, and I didnt have one.

When I was done with my boil, I got it into the 6.5 gallon carboy, capped it and let it continue to cool. Later I pitched my humongous yeast starter, and set it up with a blow off tube.

I can tell this one is gonna be good. I got it down to about 5.5 gallons, and still had the good hydrometer reading. I went ahead and gave it a taste. Sure it was sweet as all hell, but behind the sweetness I could see a fantastic beer waiting for me in about a month.
Nice job.

PS - Don't boil with the lid on...even prior to boil over risk.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Nice job.

PS - Don't boil with the lid on...even prior to boil over risk.
But go ahead and keep the lid on prior to boiling... it saves propane if you heat with the lid on. But then take it off once the boil starts so you can release all the DMS.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

and yes, that's called a partial mash. if you're using real grains and extracting sugars from them, that's a partial mash.

if you only steeped specialty grains for color and flavor, that's not really a partial mash.
but steeping is the next step towards mashing

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-03-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
newguy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Awesome!! I love a good session where you know the beer will kick as$ Best part is, it generally does

I'm doing a E.S.B. and a Stout over the weekend. Hope to have a kicking brew day(s)

--I Brew Therefore I am...-

In the Works: Common room ESB--(AG) Belgian Wit---(EXT)

Meadery: Grape apple mesquite cyser

On Tap: Common Room E.S.B.-----Belgin Wit

Old 08-03-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
ethangray19
Recipes 

Default Dms????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Squirrels
But go ahead and keep the lid on prior to boiling... it saves propane if you heat with the lid on. But then take it off once the boil starts so you can release all the DMS.

what is DMS???

Quick Reply