Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   Excellent brew session (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/excellent-brew-session-35435/)

SoCalBrewing 08-02-2007 09:19 PM

Excellent brew session
 
I just finished making my Imperial Stout. 1.093 on the hydrometer. This was a half grain half liquid recipe. (Is that called a partial mash?)

I started with 6.5 gallons of water. After I got to boil and dumped in my 12# of liquid malt, I realized that I was at a good 7.5 gallons. I decided to leave the lid off for the whole boil so that it could reduce down enough. That made it very easy to control boil over, and I didnt have one.

When I was done with my boil, I got it into the 6.5 gallon carboy, capped it and let it continue to cool. Later I pitched my humongous yeast starter, and set it up with a blow off tube.

I can tell this one is gonna be good. I got it down to about 5.5 gallons, and still had the good hydrometer reading. I went ahead and gave it a taste. Sure it was sweet as all hell, but behind the sweetness I could see a fantastic beer waiting for me in about a month.:rockin:

BierMuncher 08-02-2007 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBrewing
I just finished making my Imperial Stout. 1.093 on the hydrometer. This was a half grain half liquid recipe. (Is that called a partial mash?)

I started with 6.5 gallons of water. After I got to boil and dumped in my 12# of liquid malt, I realized that I was at a good 7.5 gallons. I decided to leave the lid off for the whole boil so that it could reduce down enough. That made it very easy to control boil over, and I didnt have one.

When I was done with my boil, I got it into the 6.5 gallon carboy, capped it and let it continue to cool. Later I pitched my humongous yeast starter, and set it up with a blow off tube.

I can tell this one is gonna be good. I got it down to about 5.5 gallons, and still had the good hydrometer reading. I went ahead and gave it a taste. Sure it was sweet as all hell, but behind the sweetness I could see a fantastic beer waiting for me in about a month.:rockin:

Nice job.

PS - Don't boil with the lid on...even prior to boil over risk.

Sir Humpsalot 08-02-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Nice job.

PS - Don't boil with the lid on...even prior to boil over risk.

But go ahead and keep the lid on prior to boiling... it saves propane if you heat with the lid on. But then take it off once the boil starts so you can release all the DMS.

malkore 08-02-2007 10:37 PM

and yes, that's called a partial mash. if you're using real grains and extracting sugars from them, that's a partial mash.

if you only steeped specialty grains for color and flavor, that's not really a partial mash.
but steeping is the next step towards mashing :)

newguy 08-02-2007 11:33 PM

Awesome!! I love a good session where you know the beer will kick as$ :) Best part is, it generally does :)

I'm doing a E.S.B. and a Stout over the weekend. Hope to have a kicking brew day(s) :rockin:

ethangray19 08-03-2007 12:37 AM

Dms????
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damn Squirrels
But go ahead and keep the lid on prior to boiling... it saves propane if you heat with the lid on. But then take it off once the boil starts so you can release all the DMS.


what is DMS???


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:07 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.