New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Everything Brooklyn Brewshop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
MedBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Everything Brooklyn Brewshop

Wanted to start a forum all things concerned about BBS, that includes kits,techniques,recipes ,equipment,and any way to help each other out and share information concerning the BBS brewing. So far I have brewed 2 of their kits and 2 recipes from the book and all have been great. I have also brewed a couple smash beers using their methods.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #2
vandoogie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

I've brewed a couple of their beers so far. The first was their IPA kit, and having enjoyed myself with that, i got their book and brewed both their Grapefruit Honey Ale and Peach Cobbler Ale as my second and third brews. I havn't had awesome luck with my brews so far... Both the IPA and Grapefruit Honey tasted awesome when i tasted at bottling time, but after being bottle conditioned and refridgerated there was a distinct "off" flavour in the aftertaste of both of them... I don't really know how to describe it, my initial thought was it was "yeasty", though i'm not really sure...

I left the IPA in primary for 2 weeks and bottled, carbed for 2 weeks, and chilled my first bottle for a week before my first taste, and the last bottle of the batch was refridgerated for about 2 weeks, which did improve that "off" taste, but it was definetly still there... For the grapefruit honey i left in primary for 3 weeks, bottled carbed for 2 - 4 weeks, and refridgrated 1 - 3 weeks. My first bottle had significantly less of that "off" taste than the IPA, and after the first couple sips wasn't too noticeable anymore, but again was certainly there in the background. Again more time in bottles and then more time chilling in the fridge to help the yeast settle out and pack at the bottom definetly seemed to improve the taste further, but my last bottle still had the noticeable taste.

The peach cobbler was kinda a disaster right from brew day. I had to brew, couldn't get fresh peaches at any stores, substituted for frozen peaches, over baked the peaches in the oven, the brew itself was rushed because friends showed up about half an hour into the brew and expected me to socialize with them and my wife, so i was rushed.... I left it in primary 3 weeks, and at bottling time it smelled strongly of plastic, didn't really have very much flavour at all other than a mild plasticy taste... I'm hoping 3 weeks at room temp bottle conditioning and a couple weeks minimum in the fridge will salvage the beer even slightly, this saturday will be one week in the fridge, so I will see howmthe first one tastes then....

I was starting to have suspicions that the off taste could be the honey being used as the priming sugar, so my next beer i am going to use corn sugar to see if that makes a difference. I just can't figure out why they have tasted great at bottling, but then have that off flavour once bottled...

Other than that i have brewed a Honey Porter from a recipe i put together myself, which im bottling tomorrow, and next up is a Blonde, following BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde recipe...

Old 06-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

The plastic flavor comes from chlorine in the water used to brew or cleaners & the like that contain chlorine or iodine . If the wrong dilution of these cleaners or sanitizers is used,it can give a plastic or medicinal flavor.
As for the IPA,2 weeks in primary wasn't enough. Generally,my average gravity beers take 3 weeks in primary,sometimes 3.5-4 weeks to finish & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. The plastic flavor generally doesn't age out. You need to look at your brewing water,cleaners & sanitizers. One of these is causing the problem. And it's def not the honey...

Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
hehawbrew
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts

I love BBS! I've done 6 batches of their stuff: Everyday IPA, Blueberry Red Ale, chocolate maple porter, simcoe IPA, rye pa, and their light American ale, which I added lime zest to.

All have tasted great and I think the simcoe IPA is the best IPA I've ever had.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
vandoogie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
The plastic flavor comes from chlorine in the water used to brew or cleaners & the like that contain chlorine or iodine . If the wrong dilution of these cleaners or sanitizers is used,it can give a plastic or medicinal flavor.
As for the IPA,2 weeks in primary wasn't enough. Generally,my average gravity beers take 3 weeks in primary,sometimes 3.5-4 weeks to finish & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. The plastic flavor generally doesn't age out. You need to look at your brewing water,cleaners & sanitizers. One of these is causing the problem. And it's def not the honey...
The IPA and Grapefruit Honey didn't have a plasticy flavour, just the Peach Cobbler. I know chlorine is usually the culprit, but i use bottled water for my brewing and use star san with distilled water for my sanitizer... I made the peach cobbler ale the same way I made the other two, but for some reason it turned out plasticy.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #6
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

I refered to the flavor you said of the IPA as not being in primary long enough. And you did say it had a destinct off flavor. They say cleaners & sanitizers mixed too strong can have that effect as well. What did you clean your equipment with & how was it mixed?

Old 06-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
PsyDanny
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehawbrew View Post
I love BBS! I've done 6 batches of their stuff: Everyday IPA, Blueberry Red Ale, chocolate maple porter, simcoe IPA, rye pa, and their light American ale, which I added lime zest to.

All have tasted great and I think the simcoe IPA is the best IPA I've ever had.
One thing that bugs me about the BBS recipes is the lack of OG and FG.

Maybe it would be nice for folks to share their readings, so those of us who are just starting out or doing a new recipe might have a guide.

Like the Simcoe IPA, for instance. I will be trying that tomorrow as a 2-gallon batch with my new Brewdemon fermenter. Might try the oven method for the mash. Anyhow, what OG and FG readings should I expect?

Old 06-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
unkyjack
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedBrewer View Post
Wanted to start a forum all things concerned about BBS, that includes kits,techniques,recipes ,equipment,and any way to help each other out and share information concerning the BBS brewing. So far I have brewed 2 of their kits and 2 recipes from the book and all have been great. I have also brewed a couple smash beers using their methods.
Do you want to start a unique Brooklyn Brew Shop forum that's separate and apart from HBT?

Since there's already an active BBS thread here on HBT, it might be easier to keep that thread chugging along than to start a new BBS forum elsewhere.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
PsyDanny
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkyjack View Post
Do you want to start a unique Brooklyn Brew Shop forum that's separate and apart from HBT?

Since there's already an active BBS thread here on HBT, it might be easier to keep that thread chugging along than to start a new BBS forum elsewhere.
The name of that thread does specify Everyday IPA kit, which might lead some to think that it only applies to that recipe. I do like the idea of an ongoing general BBS thread.

Any chance the Mods could rename that thread so that it might identify as a general BBS thread?
Old 06-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
unkyjack
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDanny View Post
The name of that thread does specify Everyday IPA kit, which might lead some to think that it only applies to that recipe. I do like the idea of an ongoing general BBS thread.

Any chance the Mods could rename that thread so that it might identify as a general BBS thread?
+1

Good idea. A thread often takes on a life of its own and provides helpful information well beyond the OP that started it.

Quick Reply