Every man's dream - 2 Hops at the same time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Quick question....I've been curious as to the effects of adding hops at the same time.

Let's say you follow this schedule:

60 min (Hop 1 AA 11%)
60 min (Hops 2 AA 7%

20 min (Hop 1)
20 min (Hop 2)

5 min (Hop 1)
5 min (Hop 2)

Will adding both hops at the same time during the boil override the effects of one of the hops or mute the flavor/bittering/aroma of 1 of the 2?

No, the chemicals responsible for aroma/flavor/bittering are still present. But is the taster's palate developed enough to distinguish the different flavors?? I believe that is a more important question. For some people, flavors can blend into one.

I just did a brew with this same idea and I am extremely anxious to taste it. Too I have a stuffy nose and can barely smell it...
1 oz each of two different hops at 20 min, 8 min, 1 min

Just brewed a batch the other night with three types of hops. Type I @ 60 mins; Types II and III at 10 mins and again at 2 mins.

Hop characteristics are additive. Widmer uses a blend called Alchemy in most of their beers. They select hops to get a specific bittering profile that a single hop can't provide.

I my 3CPA, I use two bittering hops and then use a mix of three hops for flavor, aroma and dry hopping.

Some hops go together incredibly well- simcoe/amarillo as a combo come to mind. I think mixing some hops with an earthy flavor with a hop variety with a citrusy flavor can be great. I've mixed willamette and cascade with good results.

Some will go less well together, I'd imagine. In a big with a ton of different hops, I've heard it described as a "muddy" hops flavor, since no particular flavor stands out.

so, I guess my answer will be "it depends"!

Some hops go together incredibly well- simcoe/amarillo as a combo come to mind. I think mixing some hops with an earthy flavor with a hop variety with a citrusy flavor can be great. I've mixed willamette and cascade with good results.

Some will go less well together, I'd imagine. In a big with a ton of different hops, I've heard it described as a "muddy" hops flavor, since no particular flavor stands out.

so, I guess my answer will be "it depends"!

Well I was thinking about takun the hop schedule for the famouse Lake Walk Pale ale and turning it into an ipa howeveri would use Amarillo and simcoe together at the same time intervalls...could this get "muddy?"

or yoop should I just stick to amariilo at 60 simcoe at 20 like the original recipe? You seem to have a lot of experiance with these hops so I'll trust your opinion.

Back