Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ever used a gamma lid on a primary fermenter bucket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
sparegeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ever used a gamma lid on a primary fermenter bucket?

The fermenting bucket that I got with my kit has a snap on plastic lid with a seal in the lid. Every time I try to take off the lid to take a hydrometer reading I find my self struggling to get the dumb thing off!

Has anyone ever tried using a gamma lid and drilling a hole for the grommet and air lock?

Just wondering if that would make it easier to get into the bucket for readings.

Can anyone think of any cons of this idea?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Do those gamma lids have gaskets?

Old 01-27-2012, 01:45 AM   #3
ReDim
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They sell lids with a screw on pourer (unscrew a cap on top of the lid to take the gravity), and they sell a plastic tool for opening the lid more easier...

I have seen both products, but I am not using buckets so I have no experience with that.

Something like this:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23221

Or
http://www.amazon.com/Shur-Line-0602.../dp/B00004Z4H7

This:

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn...Fcnc4Aod4Ud4tg

Old 01-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
mtk6006
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Im not saying your weak or anything but have you ever thought about training your grip? Theres a company i buy things from called ironmind they just about have everything from grip training to power lifting. They used to have tips on training for "home made" methods just dont try the big sledge hammer touch your nose one b/c thats just plain dangerous i dont care how tough you are. But training pinch grip and crushing grip timed holds etc.... Its not a bad idea i do it all the time! I snatch my lids off like nothing. I have gorilla hands lol! Like i said im not saying your weak or anything even powerlifters need to train grip b/c thats first thing that goes they can move the weight but cant hold onto it so.... Bending nails and grade 8 bolts too. Tearing phone books the "none" cheater way and take 5 pound sledge hold at end in front of you and rotate side to side forward and backwards. Grab a newspaper crinkcle it up into hands into a ball with finger tips. Have a 2x4 on floor grab it thumb up and fingers under(end though not sideways) and try lift level then when can add weight. Theres so many things you can do to help hand strength its crazy i do time holds for pinch grip with 50 pounds of sand in a bucket with a make shift board and eye hooks thru 5 gallon bucket handle. Captain of crush grippers i lock out number 2 still cant get consistent though supposed to be rated at 195 pounds but i want to slam 3 and 4. Like i said im not saying weak or anything but training your grip might help out for things like this

OH or lifting the blob is another one and hub training Google it Train hand power though you will be tearing everything apart

Old 01-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
sparegeek
Recipes 

@jonmohno

Yes they do, they're designed to be air tight. They used a lot by survivalist that store food in buckets a lot. They are and water tight.

@DeRim

I've never seen those I'll have to take a look at them. The other bucket just look so easy to open.

My grip is probably not the strongest but Those buckets are just not easy to open either. Besides if I can make it easier to open and and work s,arter then I will.

I might give it a try and see how they work.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk6006 View Post
Im not saying your weak or anything but have you ever thought about training your grip? Theres a company i buy things from called ironmind they just about have everything from grip training to power lifting. They used to have tips on training for "home made" methods just dont try the big sledge hammer touch your nose one b/c thats just plain dangerous i dont care how tough you are. But training pinch grip and crushing grip timed holds etc.... Its not a bad idea i do it all the time! I snatch my lids off like nothing. I have gorilla hands lol! Like i said im not saying your weak or anything even powerlifters need to train grip b/c thats first thing that goes they can move the weight but cant hold onto it so.... Bending nails and grade 8 bolts too. Tearing phone books the "none" cheater way and take 5 pound sledge hold at end in front of you and rotate side to side forward and backwards. Grab a newspaper crinkcle it up into hands into a ball with finger tips. Have a 2x4 on floor grab it thumb up and fingers under(end though not sideways) and try lift level then when can add weight. Theres so many things you can do to help hand strength its crazy i do time holds for pinch grip with 50 pounds of sand in a bucket with a make shift board and eye hooks thru 5 gallon bucket handle. Captain of crush grippers i lock out number 2 still cant get consistent though supposed to be rated at 195 pounds but i want to slam 3 and 4. Like i said im not saying weak or anything but training your grip might help out for things like this

OH or lifting the blob is another one and hub training Google it Train hand power though you will be tearing everything apart
Whoa....

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 01-28-2012, 03:36 AM   #7
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtk6006 View Post

Does masturbating count?
Old 01-28-2012, 03:41 AM   #8
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1000 Times on 615 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Just leave the lid loose. Lots of people do this... I don't, but maybe that's cuz I got "uber grip" like mtk6006 describes above

Old 01-28-2012, 04:13 AM   #9
bneal
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use one of the "Vittles Vaults" (food safe pet food container) as a 10+ gallon fermenter. They use the same style gamma lid. I drilled holes and added grommets to support an airlock and a thermowell. The thermowell doesn't fit air-tight so the airlock is a bit redundant. I remember seeing a thread about not drilling holes in the center of the lid to avoid cracking due to residual strains from the injection molding but can't seem to locate it now.

It works well and cleans as easy as a bucket. Here is another thread regarding using the pet food containers as fermenters and I'm sure there are others around.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/brew...ot-one-291884/

Old 01-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
sparegeek
Recipes 

Yep, those are the same lids. I think I'm going to give it a try. I'm looking to put together another primary fermenter and if it works as well as I think it will I may put one on the primary I have now!

Quick Reply