Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ever brew a beer you 'hated'..........

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Yes. I've forced them down, but not any more. I came to the (duh) conclusion once that I would never drink another one that wasn't good. And take my word on it, I don't.

I won't get into details, because some people here get peeved when you talk about dumping beer, but I dispatch non-ideal beers quickly.
My motto is "Life is too short to drink bad beer"!

I've only had a couple of dumpers, thank goodness! One was infected (band-aid beer). One was just a beer that wasn't bad, it just wasn't all that great and we weren't drinking it.

Back when I bottled, I gave 1.5 cases of Cooper's from a kit away to a friend who liked it. That was probably my worst beer ever, besides the infected batch. She eventually drank it all and returned the bottles. But now that I keg exclusively, if the beer isn't going to be consumed happily, I'd have no problem with dumping it.

Time does NOT heal all.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
PupThePup
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

After bottling, I'll sample them once a week after I think their ready. Some of the beers are good immediately, some improve and some don't.

If I need bottles for newer beers in the pipeline I simply keep six bottles of my worst prior beer and dump the rest.

This way I don't give up "hope" that the beer will improve.

The six packs get dumped if they don't improve after a reasonable aging period for the beer in question.

So, yes, I have brewed sub par beer, but I've never hated the beer, I give it a chance to improve. I also learn that I need to improve my process next time and if I don't have the equipment to do so then I need to acquire that equipment or it's futile trying to brew the same beer with the same conditions.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
K5MOW
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yes about to years ago when I first started with Mr. Bear I made a west coast pale ale. It was not good. Well luckily it was only 2 gallons. So far since then I have not made one that bad.

Roger

primary: Cream Ale All Grain
Primary Canadian Ale
Primary: Caribou Slobber
Primary: Blackberry Mead Melomel
Primary: Caribou Slobber

Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #14
craigger64
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
My motto is "Life is too short to drink bad beer"!

I agree, Yooper! After all, isn't that why we brew our own in the first place? While it sucks to dump a beer that I put so much time and effort into, if I want to drink bad beer, there are plenty of bad commercial brews that I can just pick up at the store.

My worst ones were a raspberry wheat that tasted like Alka-Seltzer with a hint of raspberry flavoring in it, and a Kolsch that everyone else loved but I didn't like much at all.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 591 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I brewed the NB Nut Brown kit and it was very good.

I have also been lucky I guess and 34 batches done with none that I have not liked. I have brewed several brown ales with slightly different recipes. They were all very good, some better than others.

So far I have not brewed the same recipe more than once.

I am also working on a pale ale recipe trying to perfect it. 4 tries, all different, all great and getting closer to what I am looking for.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #16
bobot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

My 2nd Mr. Beer was called "Diablo IPA", and it had no business making the IPA claim. It had zero hop character, and I suppose it was fairly bitter. Expecting an IPA, this really was a disappointment. In fact, that was what finally decided me to start with 5 gal. extract kits.
I didn't hate that beer, but it was a disappointment with every gulp.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #17
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I'll not be brewing this crap again. Watery, flavorless, pathetic.

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
mcspanner
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I guess I have been lucky. I have had a few that weren't great at first try so I put them in the shed for 6 months and they turned into completely different beers. (Either that or SWMBO is sneaking out there while I'm asleep and actually swapping them for different beers.)

I reckon if one doesn't age out ok to drink I'll make marinades or steak in ale pie with it rather than just chuck it though.

Scientifically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.....

Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #19
SteveHeff
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 251

I gave away most of a smokey porter I brewed several months ago. I drank maybe 3 and decided it was the worst thing I ever made. 2 out of the 5 people who got bottles asked for more beer...I was more than happy to oblige and give them the rest.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #20
AerationStation
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

I brewed an American IPA a while back that ended up sitting in primary for about 3 1/2 months. There was a wicked kick on the back end from what I assume to be autolysis, I couldn't even drink it. That being said, my buddy thought it was great so he ended up with about 2 cases of the stuff haha

Janet's Brown Ale
English Mild
Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply