The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ever brew a beer you 'hated'..........

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #1
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Default Ever brew a beer you 'hated'..........

.....but wondered if you can make it better the next go around?

My second batch in this hobby was a nut brown extract recipe from NB. I have 8 beers of that left, and I'm to the point of making myself drink it. It has a very sharp bite in the aftertaste. The instructions called for 2 weeks fermentation, 2 weeks bottle condition. I let it set in primary for 3 weeks, and waited 3 weeks after bottling before drinking.

When I brewed this beer, I was still using the swamp cooler method. About half way through the fermentation period, I landed my mom's freezer and a digital temp controller for it, so I moved it there and set the temp to 62F. Before, the (ambient) temp was around 68F. Is the higher temp at the beginning the reason for the sharp aftertaste? This kit came with Nottingham dry yeast, if that matters.

I'd like to brew this again and see if I get a different result. But then again, I'm just wondering if this is a brown ale recipe I should just pass up if I've had something better, like the Caribou Slobber.

Have any of you had a similar experience? If so, did you retry a recipe or move on to better?

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2964 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 2512

Yes. I've forced them down, but not any more. I came to the (duh) conclusion once that I would never drink another one that wasn't good. And take my word on it, I don't.

I won't get into details, because some people here get peeved when you talk about dumping beer, but I dispatch non-ideal beers quickly.

People Like This 
Old 01-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
Yesfan

Recipes 

I can see why they would, but at the same time why? It's your beer.

My younger brother was supposed to take a sixer back home with him after Christmas (guess he's smarter than I thought). I may give this beer away at work or something.

You don't have to go into details, but would you brew that particular beer again? If so, why?

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesfan View Post
You don't have to go into details, but would you brew that particular beer again? If so, why?
Yea, sure. Sometimes I just messed it up somehow. Infections, too hoppy for style, etc. I'd make those again but do a better job of it.

I've made some experimental beers (toss lots of different grains into it) where the idea just didn't work out. Those of course have special NEVER BREW AGAIN notes in them

I've made 20 gallons of berliner weisse that I couldn't drink. Nothing wrong with it. It just sat in kegs for 6 months and I realized I would never drink it. Same with an oud bruin I just couldn't muster the energy to bottle. Too long in the keg and zero interest in drinking the last half of it.

Same with 10g of mead I made. That was an expensive one to waste so I gave it to a friend who recycles beer into essence of beer.

The list goes on. See, it's pissing you off right now. I told ya.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #5
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Same with 10g of mead I made. That was an expensive one to waste so I gave it to a friend who recycles beer into essence of beer.
LOL, did you get to try the "essence of beer" post recycling and, if so, how was it?

Old 01-01-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
LOL, did you get to try the "essence of beer" post recycling and, if so, how was it?
Not from what I donated, but something else. I don't drink the hard stuff, but my neighbor said it was the best scotch he's ever tasted (and believe me he would know). I think it was supposed to be whiskey, but honestly I don't know the difference. I still have a bottle of it. It's powerful stuff that.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #7
Atonk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Absolutely. Can't even remember what it was I was trying to make; I think a harvest ale with spices. I normally follow the "age it and see what happens" - I do still have some - but I needed bottles so some got dumped. I know ... homebrewing sin.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #8
Yesfan

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
..............the list goes on. See, it's pissing you off right now. I told ya.
lmao!!!

Old 01-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
dadshomebrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

this year's Christmas Cranberry Ale was god awful.

i'm waiting a little while longer to see if it improves.

if not, it gets dumped... fortunately for me, it's only a gallon

'Tis himself

In the fermenters: nada

In the bottle: nada

In the fridge(and the glass): nada

On Deck: anything i can think of

Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 129

A saison I made last year. The flavor profile was good, friends like it, and I normally love saisons. Only I over carbonated it and it totally ruined it for me. I gagged a few down and gave the rest away. I will be remaking it next month.

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Quick Reply