Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   err did I mess up? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/err-did-i-mess-up-265048/)

Vincentdante 08-26-2011 04:59 PM

err did I mess up?
 
Hi I'm new to brewing beer. I read the FAQ but my problem isn't in there.

Basically what I did was, I bought all of my equipment in installments as I could over a few weeks. I watched 100's of videos and read through many forums like this one to get the general idea. I got Everything I thought I would need and got to work on my first batch following the instructions very closely.

Currently it's sitting in the fermenting bucket, I just finnished today and waiting for it to start. But I'm worried about one thing, My bucket's lid doesn't have a hole for an airlock. I read online that I can sit the lid loosely ontop and that will suffice to let the co2 out while keeping air away. So I didn't pay it much heed. But I now I thought I would google it further for peice of mind and I can't find anything else recommending that. Should I go out and buy an airlock? Then drill a hole in my lid?

Will I be ok with what I have done?

Thank you for your time.

hopsalot 08-26-2011 05:03 PM

I would sanitize some foil, lay it over the top securing it loosely so no dust or airborne bacteria can get in the bucket and then lay the lid on top of that. In future brews I recommend you buy pre drilled lids with a grommets and use airlocks, but you should be fine if everything was clean to begin with.

paulster2626 08-26-2011 05:04 PM

I think you'll be fine, but you cannot under any circumstance take a peek in that sucker. Let it sit undisturbed for 10 days and take a reading. Then take another one in a couple days and bottle if it's ready.

I wouldn't drill the hole this time, as you'd be leaving the beer exposed to the air for a while while you did it. I'd get the airlock for the next time around.

Just practice rigorous sanitizing procedures this time and you'll be fine.

FromZwolle 08-26-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincentdante (Post 3204525)
Hi I'm new to brewing beer. I read the FAQ but my problem isn't in there.

Basically what I did was, I bought all of my equipment in installments as I could over a few weeks. I watched 100's of videos and read through many forums like this one to get the general idea. I got Everything I thought I would need and got to work on my first batch following the instructions very closely.

Currently it's sitting in the fermenting bucket, I just finnished today and waiting for it to start. But I'm worried about one thing, My bucket's lid doesn't have a hole for an airlock. I read online that I can sit the lid loosely ontop and that will suffice to let the co2 out while keeping air away. So I didn't pay it much heed. But I now I thought I would google it further for peice of mind and I can't find anything else recommending that. Should I go out and buy an airlock? Then drill a hole in my lid?

Will I be ok with what I have done?

Thank you for your time.


you can do that for your next batch if you like. leave this one alone! let it finish fermenting before you messing around with the fermenter. plenty of folks on here use a similar method. i have a lager going right now with just a sheet of glass covering the top of the bucket.

jaycount 08-26-2011 05:04 PM

I would leave the lid on loosely, messing with it too much now will risk infection. After this batch consider drilling a hole for your airlock. Besure to get some rubber grommets to fit in the hole.

My biggest concern is where did you get your bucket? Is it food safe?

GodsStepBrother 08-26-2011 05:05 PM

You'll be okay during fermentation, air is constantly pushing out and like you mentioned that will not let any thing in. Once the main fermentation is done, that could be tricker due to lest positive pressure being present in the bucket.

I would definitely drill a hole for an airlock, or invest in a carboy with airlock.

Sudsy1979 08-26-2011 05:05 PM

I dont have an airlock either. My fermentation bucket is fairly large with a loose fitting lid and it works great! I can even open the lid quickly while its fermenting to check on it. There will be enough CO2 to blanket the beer to prevent O2 from getting into it. I actually prefer this method rather then using an airlock!
Word to the wise though...I once opened it up and stuck my head in and took a deep breath. I ended up inhaling a bunch of CO2 and it hurt lol!
Cheers and good luck!!

Vincentdante 08-26-2011 05:05 PM

thanks for the replies everyone :)

I'll look into a better set up for my next batch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycount (Post 3204556)
I would leave the lid on loosely, messing with it too much now will risk infection. After this batch consider drilling a hole for your airlock. Besure to get some rubber grommets to fit in the hole.

My biggest concern is where did you get your bucket? Is it food safe?

The bucket is a food grade fermenting bucket I sanitized everything before use :)

EDIT: It's this one actually.

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0022555

hopsalot 08-26-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fromzwolle (Post 3204554)
i have a lager going right now with just a sheet of glass covering the top of the bucket.

hell yeah!!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:15 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.