Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Erlenmeyer flask on electric stove

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1060 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I thought it could take some pretty sudden temp change. I boiled a starter in a very thick pyrex measuring cup then just put it in my sink that had just a thin layer of cool water coating it. 30 seconds later, the whole thing just crumbled into 100 shards. I suppose it could be that the very bottom of the cup got cold while the rest was extremely hot. It's probably better to expose the entire vessel to the new temp at the same time. Dang, there goes $10.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
mr x
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The measuring cups may use a different type of glass than borosilicate. I'm Still surprised that it broke, I've put them through heavy abuse. May have been a bad measuring cup....

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1060 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It was pyrex and that's just a trademarked name for borosilicate. I had put it through a bunch of abuse in the past and I guess it was just a freak occurance.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #14
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

From what I recall, Pyrex houseware really isn't borosilicate anymore. It's a type of tempered glass. I can't recall the type, but if you search around I think you will find that while those cups are tempered for heat use, they aren't true borosilicate. I still think it shouldn't have broken.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/pyre...ode-232474.php

I generally don't take crap linked from the net as gospel, but I believe it is more or less correct.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottaustin
I am leaning more towards a pot at this point as this is my first starter and I would like to avoid broken/scarred glass.

My plan was to use a coil element stove and dunk the flask in a sink full of ice

olllllo you seem to know about this stuff, do you use a similar method/equipment?
I use a 2L flask on a ceramic top stove using the lowest heat possible to achieve a boil.

I let it rest for a minute or two and then immerse in regular tap water.
I introduce ice later to cool it further (depending on how low I want to go, I may keep adding ice or use salt).

I used to work in a lab years ago, but I was not a chemist.
Everything I learned, I learned here.

EDIT: Use a process that give you the most comfort/satisfaction. No wrong answers here.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Quick Reply